Late Friday afternoon Dick and I packed up and drove in both vehicles to the Harrisburg Mall. There we parked his truck and went in my car to DC.
We were warmly and loudly welcomed by Jeremy and Company - friends and neighbors.
It didn't take long, however, for Jeremy to be snoozing. He had just returned from three weeks in Jordan, and was having serious jet lag. Dear sweet Molly was happy to have him home.
The first order of business Saturday morning was a haircut for Dick. Jeremy did a fine job, and it was free!
After a quick egg and bagel breakfast we started walking. And walking and walking and walking. Washington DC is an absolutely wonderful, beautiful city. Add the beauty of Spring to that, and it was exhilarating.
Our destination was the Conservatory. I took so many pictures, because every place I looked just took my breath! Here are some of them.
Later in the afternoon Jeremy and I went to the National Building Museum to pick up Lori's race packet. That was a place Jeremy had never yet discovered, and he was completely fascinated with the architecture of the place. It was massive and ornate.
By the time we got back to Jeremy's place, Ray and Thyda had arrived from Virginia Beach and shortly thereafter Anthony, Lori, and Austin arrived. I was prepared! I had brought one of our favorite meals along - Curried Sweet Potato and Chickpea Stew with garlic Naan bread.
Oops, Ray blinked! They had to head back home yet that night, but it was fun to at least spend the evening with them.
Sunday morning, bright and early, we took the Metro to the Credit Union Cherry Blossom Run at the national mall. Lori and Anthony were already there, since she would be running in the 5K.
To get to her starting place we had to cross the path of those who were already running the 10 mile. We waited quite a while to get enough of a break.
There she is! The one in blue. I just wish I had thought of focusing my camera on Austin's face. When he saw her, his smile was bigger and brighter than it usually is, if that is even possible!
While she cooled down, Austin and I explored and found some flowers for him to give to his mama.
Lori's friend Letitia was running in the 10 mile, so we went to that finish line to watch for her. That was a pretty long wait, but Austin found things to do - like rolling down this hill! I think Jeremy even got into the action a time or two.
How's this for a Modern Family moment??
There's Letitia! She said most people along the way were yelling her name wrong, so when she heard someone saying it correctly, she had to see who it was!
Letitia and her husband Duane. He's the worship leader at Lori and Anthony's church, and they were the attendants at Lori and Anthony's wedding. GREAT couple.
The runners, Letitia and Lori.
We were HUNGRY after that, so we walked to the area where they have an outdoor market on weekends. We got the prime table in a little restaurant - an alcove right at the front. It was so perfect for our group, and we beat the rush. Jeremy's friend Kim, Jeremy, Lori, Anthony, Mike, Dick, and Austin.
Our waitress took this pic from the other side of the table, but she missed Mike. You can see how we were practically sitting on the sidewalk, but still indoors. We even watched a Palm Sunday processional go by.
On the walk back to Jeremy's place we saw more of the city's majestic beauty, especially on this block. Living here would be Jeremy's dream come true.
Back at Jeremy's we took naps, then left for home around 3:00. When we got to the Harrisburg Mall we went our separate ways - Dick went home, I went to Lancaster County. I spent a fun evening at Grandma Mary's playing Dominoes with her and her son Lester and his wife Erma. I spent the night at Dick's parents.
5 comments:
Love those flowers , what a beautiful place for sure.
love those flowers, what a beautiful place.
I am so jealous! It's bad enough looking a tmy sisters pictures of DC, and now I have to see yours. Wish I was there - looks like such fun!
It's a beautiful place.
I can understand why you took so many pictures. Everything is so beautiful!! Glad you were able to spend some time with your family.
Oh so beautiful!!! Sounds like a wonderful time. So glad Jeremy was able to get home. Have fun this week with Destiny!
Post a Comment