Monday, April 07, 2008

Fifteen random things

Last week Tonja tagged me. I am supposed to list 15 random things about myself that you readers may or may not already know. Hmmm. Back in November I posted seven weird things when I was tagged, but I guess I'll try to come up with fifteen more. So here goes....

1. I am absolutely unable to function without a list. And just like I said last week, and like Tonja admitted to doing as well, the best part of having a list is crossing things off. So if I accomplish something, then realize I hadn't even put it on my list, I write it down and then cross it off! In my lesson plan book at school I write a long list at the beginning of each week in addition to the lesson plans. Here at home I have a list for the week, and on Saturdays another one. I guess I'm a visual person, because I just can't think without a list.

2. I have a very detailed memory of my life as far back as age two. In my mind I have a visual picture of each decade and I can come up with a month and year for almost anything you may want to know about my life.

3. I can easily go to bed with dishes in the sink. It doesn't bother me one bit unless someone is coming.

4. I never dated anyone but Dick. I was 15 when we started "liking" each other. One time we broke up for a few weeks because my parents said we had to, but I made it so obvious that I was in mourning that no one would have dared to ask me out during that time.

5. When my sisters Doris, Barb, and Betty and I would play "house" as children, I always had to be the dad or the preacher because I was the oldest of the four. I got so tired of it.

6. When I was a junior in high school I was using an eyelash curler one morning and my hand slipped. I ripped out ALL my upper eyelashes. I looked like a ghost. Thank goodness I wore glasses. I also made use of a LOT of eye liner. Eventually they grew back.

7. When Dick and I got married on October 2, 1971 it was my parents AND his parents wedding anniversaries!

8. From 1971 to 1987 Dick and I were in a Christian "band" that gave programs in churches, first the Witmer Trio, then The Freedom Singers. We even made two albums.

9. I am dreadfully afraid of snakes - I can hardly stand to look at them. I hate worms too.

10. I have absolutely no athletic skills whatsoever. I never have.

11. I have belonged to three churches in my lifetime, each of them small, and I still have dear friends and family at the previous two.

12. I had a complete hysterectomy when I was 49 years old, because I was literally falling apart. I've never had a moment's regret.

13. I attended grades one through eight at Manheim Christian Day School, we sent our children there, and I've taught music there for twenty-four years. Am I loyal, or what???

14. I am dreadfully near-sighted. My contact lenses are minus nine, plus I have glasses that I wear WITH my contacts when I'm driving.

15. As we were raising our family we almost always had "extra people" living with us - foster children, single moms and their kids, tourists... I was happiest when I had a house full of people.

So there you are, folks, for whatever it's worth!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeanie, you had me laughing and laughing! I needed that, earlier I cried when I learned that Lori is driving in alone from Michigan tonight to be with Elvin. Your blog is always a gift to me. MEW

Anonymous said...

Hey, "Rose's sister!" I had to come and say thanks for your very encouraging comment today.

I loved your random things! We would get along swell because I, too, LIVE by my list, and I, too, will add things I did just to be able to cross them off! :) But I cannot stand dishes left in the sink, so that would work great, wouldn't it? :)

This is so weird but just a few days ago John told me a story about overhearing someone tell how their elbow had slipped and they pulled all THEIR eyelashes out, too - ouch! Moral of the story - definitely don't lean on counters while curling your eyelashes. Do you feel better that you aren't the only one? :)

I was very entertained while reading about your "random things!"

Thanks for visiting -
Jen

Dianne said...

I LOVE your list...and guess what...I have NO TROUBLE AT ALL going to bed with dishes in the sink! I hate housework! :-) I laughed about you always having to be the dad or the preacher...toooooo funny! I think the fact about your memory is amazing too...mine gets fuzzier and fuzzier the older I get! :-)

Tonja said...

Thanks for playing, Jean,,,
dishes like to wait in the sink before they get all shut up in that dishwasher!

My memory is NOT that good.

neat about the anniversary's

If you were the preacher so much, why didn't you preach to them about taking turns? cause it wouldn't have mattered...sisters are whiney-piney sometimes.:)

Miki Lindmark said...

Just thought I'd let you know Im on my way to Bulgaria. I'm in Stockholm now- and the hotel was full. So I get to pretend I am a youth and sleep on the chairs tonight! Tomorrow we fly first to Poland (Warsawa) then on to Sofia, Bulgaria. We are helping a church in Elhovo, the same church I will be taking team of youth later this summer. Pray that Borje (our economy advisor at church) ´will be well enough to travel, and that I can get a little sleep tonight. My hotmail doesn't work, that is why I left a message here. BTW- I also am a list person- you must have given the list virus to me!

Jean said...

I hope all goes well with this trip, Miki. Please keep us updated if you have access to the internet.

Love, Mom