Monday, February 18, 2008

Look what I just did!

On this day that I intended to use working ahead on choreography for the spring musical and putting festival songs into the computer for Middle School Chorus, guess what I did instead? I made a doll dress! Those patterns from my sister-in-law were just calling my name, and I decided to see what I could do with what I had on hand. Before we moved here I got rid of ALL the fabric I had lying around from old projects, so the only fabric in my house is what is left from the two curtain projects I've done since we moved, one of which was Destiny's room.

Now believe me, this is a true lesson in recycling here. First of all, I had gotten a "bed-in-a-bag" for her room, which included sheets, pillow cases, bedskirt, and comforter. When I tried to find fabric to make her curtains I was not able to find anything I thought matched well enough, so I used the sheets from the bed-in-a-bag set to make curtains, and then got solid pink sheets for her bed. So first those sheets became curtains, and now the leftovers were used to make a doll dress!When I looked at the directions for making the dress it called for bias tape and ric rac, of which I had none. I looked around and found a pink blouse of mine that I hate because it doesn't fit well. So I cut strips out of that blouse to trim the neck, sleeves, and hem, and to make a belt. The only thing missing is the velcro needed to close the back, but for now safety pins (which are hidden by the doll's long hair anyway) are doing the job. And Destiny is delighted.

Actually, so am I! I haven't made anything besides simple curtains for YEARS!! I think the last detailed thing I made was a ruffly nightgown for Lisa when she was about 10 years old. Our whole household practically fell apart that week, because the only way I could get it done was by letting everything else go. Which is pretty much what I did today too, ha, ha!!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Cherdecor said...

YOU DID REALLY WELL! I bet that was a lot of fun! To do something creative once in a while is so fun! The little dress is so cute and I like all the trim work.

Do you remember back in the early '90's, when crafters were making big long-eared rabbits wearing dresses? I made several of them and they were so adorable.

But like you said, when you get into those kind of projects, the house has to take care of itself.

I am sure that Destiny will want you to make more doll dresses!

Dianne said...

Well aren't you just the one to know?? I am impressed...and the dress looks great! No wonder Destiny loves it...what kid wouldn't?!

Anonymous said...

Oh you are so talented...I love the dress..I got your name over at Kat's.

Do you make dresses? I have a doll and she needs a new dress...I am all thumbs :(

Nice to meet you
Kathy :)
jokaj@comcast.net

Momma Roar said...

It looks fantastic - great job!!

Anonymous said...

I don"t sew ever When I was in school of course we had to sew then but that was so long ago. I only do buttons now. The doll dress is very nice. Good job

Justabeachkat said...

Great job Jean! You really are multi-talented!

Hugs!
Kat

Tonja said...

Well,you are a clever girl! Looks great!

Anonymous said...

great job! you really entertain me with your blog and your sense of humor. I haven't commented much but I check in all the time. Love your stories. Keep up the good blogging!
Monica Fox