Like everybody else I have a long list of things to accomplish this week, but I will sit here and update this blog before I do another thing. It does seem that unless I have pictures of events with our family, I tend to forget about blogging anymore!
I do have several cute pictures of Austin. He was here a couple of times in the past week.
Building a tower with Grandpa.
Eating crackers and hummus while watching Thomas the Train with Grandma. (Those are stickers on my arm, not bruises!)
In addition to all the regular work at the office and music preparations and practices, I've been doing something else that's not in my normal routine. I decided to make some dresses for Sophie's American Girl dolls out of clothes I no longer wear. After the first one I almost gave up. But then I discovered that I had a simpler pattern to use, and I made two more. Today they started their journey to Florida. I'm hoping that I can make some more for Destiny over the Christmas break. Here's a before and after collage I made! I must say I think it's pretty much fun.
Yesterday afternoon the Fillmore choir presented our cantata, All Is Well. That little church was packed out, standing room only. It went really well.
And of course, this was the week of the unthinkable tragedy in Connecticut. I have shed so many tears, as I'm sure you have too. My heart cries with those teachers and parents who have lost so much, for the surviving children who need to bear lost innocence and such deep sorrow. But my heart also cries for a much better way to help children who suffer from mental illness. You may remember, if you've been a reader of my blog for long enough, that after the Virginia Tech massacre, I shared my story about our family's brush with a mentally ill child named Henry.
Here's the story if you have time to read it. You will probably need some tissues.
HENRY
In the spring of 1984 our three biological children ranged in
age from four to ten, and our foster daughter Miki was a
seventeen-year-old junior in high school. Our foster agency called to
ask if we could do respite care for one weekend for an eleven-year-old
boy named Henry. He had just spent several days with a potential foster
family, but they wanted to have a weekend without him to make their
decision before he moved in. Having a boy in the house that was just a
year older than Lisa was not something we would have wanted long term,
but we certainly could keep him for the weekend.
Henry came and we had a good weekend with him. All weekend he talked
excitedly about the farm he would be moving to. Monday morning arrived
and so did his caseworker - with bad news. The family had decided they
could not take him. I will never forget sitting there watching his
reaction. My heart just ached for him and my immediate reaction was that
surely we could somehow give him a place in our family. However, we
told the caseworker our reservations about having a boy that age in our
home, which the agency understood, and we agreed to keep him while they
looked for another placement for him. Our children were glad he would
be staying longer.
Henry stayed five weeks. Another family was found who would take him,
but their school district would not, and in the end another agency
found a placement for him. Before long we heard that he had been taken
to a juvenile psychiatric facility. We were told that Henry had been
diagnosed with a mental illness. We were not surprised; in fact, we felt
somewhat relieved.
In trying to describe the five weeks of living with Henry I will need
to sound like I am describing two different people. The one Henry was
extremely kind and loving, with a great tenderness for the things of
God. The only music he wanted to listen to was a tape of The Witmer
Trio. He listened to it in his room over and over again, he went to
sleep with it on every night, and he knew every word by heart. We gave
him blank tapes to entertain himself, and he would record himself
praying.
The other Henry would "snap" at the slightest provocation and obsess
over any little thing. When the marker he was using bled through and
messed up another picture he had done, he suddenly went on a rampage
that could not be stopped until he had thrown everything that belonged
to him outside on the lawn in the pouring rain.
At one point he decided that he absolutely had to have a "George"
card (you have to be old enough to know what that was!) from our local
bank. One day he would not stop riding his bike through the drive-up
window of the bank until they would give him a George card. The police
needed to be called.
Another day he found Anthony's toy hunting rifle and began acting as
though he were shooting everybody in all the pictures on our family
photo wall. He said, "Maybe someday I'll come and do that to all of
you." Meanwhile, four-year-old Jeremy looked on in fear. As I tried to
persuade him to give the toy rifle to me he slapped me.
If the sweet Henry had been present more often than the
unpredictable, unreasonable Henry, we probably would have decided that
he should stay with us rather than experience one more rejection and
one more move. But sweet Henry made increasingly rare appearances.
Because his placement was in limbo, Henry was not in school those five
weeks, but rather at home with Jeremy and me every day all day long. I
was slowly but surely burning out from the emotional toll he took on
me. Our children were becoming afraid of him and started to feel that
we cared more about his special needs than we did theirs. Our family
could not continue like that long term.
The call came on a Friday afternoon that another agency had found a
placement for him and that they would come yet that afternoon to pick
him up. I could not believe it. Yes, we could not continue life with him
in our home, but no, we could not just have him snatched away that
quickly with no chance for our children to say goodbye to him. We had
plans that weekend that he was really looking forward to. I convinced
them to let him stay until Monday.
That weekend sweet Henry returned for the entire weekend. He did not
want to leave. He even said, "They're probably not even a Christian
family, and who knows what kind of music they listen to and they
probably watch bad things on TV all the time." My heart was in torture
all weekend long. How could we be turning him out like this? But how
could our family survive with him in it? The goodbyes on Monday morning
were very tearful ones. After he left I laid across my bed and wept
with deep sorrow for him and for us.
A few weeks later was his twelfth birthday. Through the agency we
were given an invitation to his birthday party. He was being permitted
to go home to his biological mother's house for his birthday, and the
party would be there. We went to the party that Sunday afternoon. We
and a neighbor lady were the only ones at the party. Henry was as sweet
as he had ever been, telling us over and over how he missed us and how
he disliked his new family. Even his mother said that he was so much
happier with us and wondered why he couldn't have stayed. I was wracked
with guilt by the time we left. Even our children were starting to feel
like we should let him come back. Anthony said, "Henry WAS really nice
sometimes."
A few months later we heard that he had been admitted to a juvenile
psychiatric hospital and that even before he had been in our home, his
diagnosis was such that there were questions as to whether it was safe
to place him with a family. Looking back now I cannot help but wonder
why he was not on any medication, but I'm sure there was much less
understanding of the brain in 1984 than there is now. It took a long
time for me to be able to come to terms with our apparent failure to be
what Henry needed. In my annual letter that Christmas I wrote, "If even
Christian families cannot meet their needs, what is to become of all
the Henrys in this world?"
Life went on and we lost track of Henry. Four years later I read in
the paper that Henry (age 16) was was accused of murdering a
nine-year-old boy. Henry had gone to the library and told the boy that
he was a friend of the boy's mother and was supposed to take him home.
Later, in an alley near the library, the nine-year-old's dead body was
found. For some reason I felt like I had to go see Henry and sing to
him the songs from that tape he had loved so much. I called a woman who
worked with a prison ministry in that town to find out if there was
any way I could get to visit him, but he wasn't in the local prison at
that time. She said he probably would be there in a few months when
they held the trial.
But a few months later I read in the newspaper that Henry had
admitted he murdered the boy and that there would be no trial. He would
be committed to a State prison for life without the possibility of
parole. And that is the last thing I ever heard about Henry. When I
googled his name this week there was nothing - like he never existed.
In a prison somewhere there is probably a man named Henry who will
soon turn forty. I don't feel guilty anymore. I know we were not at
all equipped to meet his needs. But my heart still aches for him and for all the Henrys who so desperately need the right kind of understanding and help.

4 comments:
Oh Jeanie, thank you for sharing your story. I had forgotten about this episode completely, but I feel so much that these kinds of stories need to be told. It should be part of our discussion of tragedies like Newtown....
8:13 PM, December 17, 2012
Wow - I have no words after reading this. Mental illness is such a hard thing to treat and to live with. Thanks for sharing Henry's story.
PS - I love Austins dimples!
yes Mental illness is something that many of us don"t understand. I remember you sharing that one other time. Asbergers disease makes a person be very angry at times and do things that none of us can comprehend. It is so sad and disturbing to see someone like that. I had a person on my bus who was like that. When he got angry it was a little scary. I just wonder how we should handle those with mental illiness in this sociaty.
Post a Comment