Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Introducing Music@Home

In May 2009, when Dick accepted a job offer in State College, which meant that I would need to leave my much-loved, long-time position as music teacher at Manheim Christian Day School, an idea was born in my heart.  I could make music class DVD's for home school families!  We would be living near (actually WITH, at first) our son Anthony who makes music lessons on DVD for blues guitar players as his vocation and would be able to help me accomplish my idea.  The idea needed to simmer on the back burner for a couple of years as real life got in the way, but this past fall, with strong encouragement from Lisa and George, we were finally able to get started.  Real life still gets in the way for both Anthony and me, but the first DVD is finally ready to sell for $25.



As you can see from the back cover, there are 12 lessons on this DVD, each about 10 to 15 minutes long.  Also available are worksheets to go with each lesson and a test for lesson twelve.  I had first through third graders in mind as I taught these lessons (to Anthony and the camera across the room!).  However, the last few lessons may be a bit too complicated for the younger ones.  

Here's a little sample, taken from the beginning of lessons seven, reviewing what we had learned in the previous lessons, just before introducing the sixteenth note.


In deciding how to do this project, I first of all considered making a DVD for each grade level.  However, when running this idea by a seasoned home school mom, she mentioned that it would be great for several children in the family to be able to do music class together.  Thus, I am making the DVD's by subject matter.  Each one will start with more elementary lessons and progress to more advanced.  Others that I plan to make are:

The Musical Staff
The Musical Keyboard
The Major Scale (which will include ear training)
Time Signatures; Notes, Rests, and Rhythms II
Key Signatures
Markings (dynamic, tempo, expression, and flow) 
Chords

A few weeks ago I sent copies of the DVD and worksheets to several home schooling families for their evaluation.  Below is some of the feedback I have received.

 It is a fabulous DVD!  I was really impressed.  I will recommend it to the families that I evaluate, and to my home school cooperative.  It's just what home schoolers need for their music instruction.  

Bonni Greiner, Manheim, PA
Home school mother of 8, Home school evaluator

Aimee and the children are loving these lessons!  The pronunciation is very good and the audio quality is very sharp so that you are easily understood, and that is an excellent factor when someone may be watching these on a portable DVD player. We used ours on our digital projector and thus it seemed like you were right there in the room, and the children were all ears and eyes to what you had to say.  Auntie, you have a gift of teaching and you do it very well!  The children are wondering when they can go meet you!  Blessings to you and thanks for filling this void in our education of our children!

Japheth Stauffer, Bemidji, Minnesota
Nephew, Home school father of 8


I am thrilled to see a DVD music course being offered to home schoolers.  I think your course is very nice so far. There is not much like it out there. You have a heart for music and a heart for kids and that is evident in your DVD.  I would be most happy to recommend it to my homeschooling friends.  Love your logo too!

Cynthia Schnee, Manheim, PA
Home school mother of 3

When my husband asked me if I wanted to try the Music@Home DVD, I was a bit hesitant to spend more money when I wasn't sure we needed another music program. But after going through each lesson with the children, I'm all for it!!! Jean does a superb job of teaching young children, and I even learned some stuff I hadn't known before! Music class doesn't have to be boring, and these lessons surely aren't. They are thorough and fun! Thanks, Jean, for the opportunity to learn from all your expertise at home! The children beg for music class now.

Aimee Stauffer
Home school mother of 8

Time wise, I am hoping to have two more DVD's ready for the beginning of next school year and three more by the beginning of the next school year.  

If you, or someone you know, home schools and would like to have something that fulfills the requirements for music education in addition to instrument lessons, this may be just the ticket.  In fact, I believe that if they learned some basic theory before taking instrument lessons, they would have an edge that would help them to learn to play more quickly.  Naturally, my goal is also to prepare children to be better congregational and choral singers.  Just like learning to read is the key to education, learning to read music is the key to musical accomplishment and enjoyment.  To order one go to my website at www.jeanstauffer.com. 

By the way, the logo was Anthony's idea.  I like it!

4 comments:

elaine said...

WOW!!Love it! Had no idea this was in the making!!Just the clip you have posted here is great! Such a wonderful way to continue to fulfil your teaching and musical gifts! congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Stauffer, this is so exciting to me! My husband and I are homeschooling and I will keep this in mind for music! I was just thinking you should see about getting a "booth" at the Harrisburg Curriculum Fair May 11-12 this year and let a LOT more people know about the DVD's you're making! Thanks for giving homeschooling families a Music option. Gwenda
P.S. The fair is held at the Farm Show Complex.

Jean said...

I already checked that out, Gwenda. There are no more openings for vendors this year. It is quite a process and costs a good bit of money to have a spot there, so that possibility will have to wait.

I would love to teach your little ones music just as (almost) I did you!

Joanne said...

congratulations