Sunday, December 04, 2011

O Christmas Tree! and other blessings

We did something today that we never did before.  We went to a tree farm and picked out and cut down our own Christmas tree.  Not a bad feat for an old couple that's been married for forty years!

It was especially fun because Anthony, Lori, and Austin came with us, and it was a beautiful sunny day.

 First we had to hike up the hill.

Then we picked the one we wanted and Dick got down on the ground to saw it off while Anthony made sure it fell in the right direction.  

Austin wanted Grandpa to do it again, but instead Lori helped him to saw off a low branch.

Then we carted it out.

Austin and I trailed behind, because he needed to pick up stones along the way.  He resisted the urge to thrown them, and obediently dropped them instead.  It was especially fun when we crossed that little bridge and he could drop a stone into the water. 

It was cool to watch the way the trees were shoved  into one end of the baler and they'd come out the other end all tied up and ready to go.


Now I'll back up to a few other things.  

On Thursday evening I had the Fillmore choir here for practice.  There are 15 of us.  What a fun bunch!  We just love being and singing together.  Choir director Judy's hip replacement surgery was that day, and went well.  Supposedly she was already coming home today.  This morning Pastor Duane joked,  "If they make us go home any sooner, pretty soon they'll have drive-up surgeries!"  Hahahaha!

On Friday Sam took Sammy to get professional pictures taken.  How precious is this??

Also on Friday I stopped in at Pete's Used Furniture, as I do almost every week.  I've been on the lookout for a coffee table, and I would usually make a loop through the store, not seeing any that I wanted.  But this time there was one I liked for $45.  I didn't even try to negotiate a lower price, which their sign says you're not supposed to do anyway.  But sometimes I can't read!   I like it.  It's just the right height for foot-propping.

On Saturday I kept Austin.  We had fun.  Actually, that new coffee table is just the perfect "bridge" under which to eat popcorn.  He also found his new favorite spot.  Our toasty little heater, which quit working two years ago, has somehow healed itself and works again.  Austin discovered how nice it feels to sit in front of it, especially when you're taking your socks off to clean the sock fuzzies from between your toes, which he just loves to do. 

Austin has been such a picky eater, but is gradually liking more and more things.  We had chicken noodle soup, and he thoroughly enjoyed eating it.  You'll have to watch this little video clip to see why!


This morning I was the pianist and choir director at Fillmore's 8:15 service, filling in for Judy of course, then led worship at Houserville.  I am so BLESSED!!  The fellowship and friendship we are experiencing at both places, and the opportunities to be involved musically are such an answer to the cries of my heart. God has been so good and so faithful.  I never did make that Thanksgiving list, but I still should.  There are so many things I'm thankful for. 

4 comments:

Mari said...

What a nice picture of you and Dick!
Looks like fun getting the tree. The coffee table is very nice - looks good with your other furniture.
I love the video of Austin. His little dimples pop out with each noodle he sucks down!

Doris said...

We never cut our own tree. Gonna use the fake one this year....Greta is sad about that!

What a cutie that Austin is!

Tonja said...

Jean, I could have sworn you had lost it when I saw the pic of you and Austin. For all the world, it looks as if you are walking a dog on a leash! I need new glasses, by the way! I had to enlarge it to see that it was indeed a boy!

What a great adventure to have together! And, documented so nicely that Austin can look back at it one day in the future.

Of course, he may be wondering why you made him walk on a leash on all fours like a dog....but it should make for good storytelling!

Great pic of you and Dick!

Jean said...

Hahahaha!! Too funny, Tonja! He was bending over, picking up a stone. I was carrying a piece of cardboard they had given us for Dick to put underneath him when he cut the tree. Wow, it really does look like he was walking on all fours on a leash, now that you said that!!!