Friday, January 21, 2011

Brrrrr!! 12 degrees and blowing!

Brrrr!!  It's really winter here in State College.  We had several more inches of fluffy snow added to our previous layer, and today it BLEW!!  On my way home from Anthony and Lori's this evening I looked at the outside temp in my car and it was 12 degrees and blowing.  Now that, folks, is cold!  

I must say, I am amazed at how well they keep after the roads.  They keep plowing and salting and cindering, so that little old ladies like me can keep driving!  Last evening while I was grocery shopping it started snowing really fast.  I had to drive home before the road crews had gotten started.  I'm so terrified of using my brakes and sliding, so I mosey along in second gear.  I was aware that I was leading quite a parade of vehicles.  But I didn't care.  When I finally turned off, the car behind me laid on his horn as he blew merrily past me.  And I did not care.  

We had good news last evening via an email from Dick's oncologist.  The PET scan showed no changes since six months ago.  PRAISE THE LORD!!  There are slightly enlarged lymph nodes at places that are too dangerous to biopsy, so we're delighted to hear that they have not gotten larger.  

Dick does, however, have sciatic pain that he's been taking medication for.  Many times at the end of a day of work the pain is pretty bad in spite of medication.  Also, business at Pep Boys has been very slow the past month.  That has happened before, but it seems to be hitting a new low.  He gets paid for only the work he turns out.  Frequently he diagnoses a problem, recommends the work that needs to be done, but the customer cannot afford to have it done, so that's the end of that.   It's discouraging and frustrating many times.  Your prayers would be appreciated.

Once again I was delighted to pull up the mini-blind here beside my computer desk this morning and get an eyeful of God's beautiful artwork. 

7 comments:

Doris High said...

That's good news about Dick's report. Cerwin talked to Bob last night. They were at something like -40. I always enjoy your posts and read them all - even though I don't make a lot of comments.
Blessings

Mari said...

It keeps snowing here too and we are in for a real cold spell. This morning it's 4 degrees and it's supposed to get worse. I'm one of those people leading a train on bad roads too. Seems crazy to go rushing when it's so slippery!
Great news on the PET scan. I'll pray about work.

Tonja said...

Now, Jean, you be careful out there on those snowy, icy roads! And, you drive just as slow as you want to. I'm that way in a heavy downpour. And, I don't care if others are annoyed...I'm doing the best I can!

Good news about Dick's PET Scan. Thank God for that. And, I know there are so many people who are in this same situation. All we can do is pray. I'm sorry he's in pain. I've been hurting for 5 days now.

Take care of yourself, my friend!

Doris said...

Cold....I do not like it! I want to stay wrapped up in a cover and drink coffee all day =]

I was wondering about Dick's scan.....wonderful! I often pray about Dick's job. All I can say is that the both of you are up for a great reward when you get to heaven =)It's hard to stay positive when things are hard....you guys have weathered your storms with great grace. Blessings! (and I do pray you all will be rewarded here on earth too!)

Justabeachkat said...

First, Praise God for Dick's pet scan results!

Brrrrr...as I sit here sipping my iced sweet tea your photos made me shiver. It's pretty cold here too, but not THAT cold.

Hugs,
Kat

Cherdecor said...

I have been waiting to hear about the results from Dick's PET scans. I praise the Lord for His protective hand over Dick's life!
I didn't realize the situation with Dick's job. I will pray about that too!

The one scripture I have been holding on to and I believe in is
Matt.6:33 where it says to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these other things will be added to you. What I think that means and I have been meditating on this for a while, is that when we seek the kingdom of God....meaning the kingdom of God is our affection, desire,our priority, AND His righteousness means confession of sin, of course, but FAITH toward God. That He knows what He is allowing.

When we have done all that, God takes full responsibility in taking care of our stuff...."all these things will be added to you."
The thought that GOD TAKES FULL RESPONSIBILITY gives me great relief!

I will also pray for Dick's pain.
I have been in pain most of the week so I sypathize. If is no fun.
Thank you both for not giving up your faith even when it hurts. You will be soooo rewarded! I will never forget what your niece said over her mother's casket. Her words ring in my thoughts even today.
God bless her!

Barb said...

So glad to hear a good report on Dick's scan. I will be praying about the job situation. I'm sure it's easy to worry.
I too don't like driving on snowy roads. I'm lucky to have John and the two boys to take me where I need to go when the weather is really bad.
Stay warm and safe. Spring will come eventually.