Saturday, June 12, 2010

Living in the hothouse

I'm sitting on the deck this evening enjoying the sounds of the birds. Sitting out here is something we don't do as often in the summer weather as we did in the spring, because it's so much more comfortable indoors in the air conditioning.

But not this evening. Today the AC blower motor quit working, and Anthony and Lori's HVAC company does not do emergency weekend calls, so........... We are remembering what living without AC was like. Our basement apartment is barely affected by it, but the main floor hit 90 degrees today. Absolutely oppressive. Poor Austin is having a hard time falling asleep even though there is a fan in his room.

How did we used to do it? When the kids were young we owned a big two-story house that was right on busy Main Street in East Petersburg. There was only a sidewalk between our front porch and the street. I remember having all our windows wide open as the traffic continued all night long, and in the morning the whole house would smell like exhaust fumes. But I don't remember minding the heat then as much as I minded it today. I guess I've become soft.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow. My brother and his wife, my sisters Doris and Mary Ellen, and my step mother will be leaving Lancaster County at 8:30 AM in my brother's van and coming HERE! But not to visit. We will eat brunch together then go another two hours to New Bethlehem, PA to my uncle Lester's viewing.

This week Lester suddenly collapsed and died while working in his son's chair shop. His wife Arlene is my dad's sister. Their large family is scattered far and wide just like my family is, and my heart goes out to them as they would have had to deal with his death and the resulting last minute travel arrangements.

So it's a sad occasion that has brought about our trip tomorrow, but I have to admit that I am looking forward to this chance to spend time with my family. I am quite sure there will be more than one good belly laugh.


4 comments:

Mari said...

I'm sorry for the sudden loss of your uncle, but I know your family will be blessed to be together again.
Air conditioning! I've gone soft too. I don't remember being too hot as a kid, but now I can't imagine it. I know I really appreciate it in my car when it's been parked all day!

Joanne said...

sorry for the sad occasionc but there is nothing like family time for sure, I think I am getting to appreciate it more and more all the time. I guess we are softies when it comes to a/c I have to get my car a/c fixed tomorrow. Its just so hot after a long day in the sun and I want to be cool going home.

Cherdecor said...

I am sorry for the death of your uncle. It is something we are never ready for even when we KNOW the person is going to die.

I talked to a young woman in the foyer of the church this morning who recently lost her husband. I saw in her a countenance I had not seen before. I went up to her and asked her how she was doing. She said, "I am not doing so well. I am really mad at God" and on and on she went. I told her it was Okay to be mad. God certainly understands. It is a part of grieving. The Bible says to be angry, and sin not. Anger happens. What we do with it next is important. Working our way through grief is hard, but on the other side, is the path to joy.

BTW, I hope you all sobered up before you got there! Ha! Ha!

Justabeachkat said...

So sorry about your uncle's death. I'll be thinking about you and your family. It's a sad occasion, but I'm sure your time together will be special.

No AC? Yikes!

Hugs!
Kat