Sunday, June 06, 2010

Fun family day

I did this post last night from my phone, waited FOREVER while it posted, only to end up getting an error message. Grrr. Here goes another try.....


Dick had the day off from work on Friday, so he packed up our camping gear, left State College by 8 AM, and went to our Lititz house to get more stuff and to mow the yard. He went to Woodcrest Retreat (about 30 minutes from Lititz) in the afternoon and set up our tent.




Later he went to Reading to pick up Destiny, which meant that when I left State College at 6 PM I could drive directly to Woodcrest. Dick had a fire going and we had fun roasting hot dogs and marshmallows with some of Destiny's church friends.

About half way through the night I realized that we had brought an air mattress with a leak. Talk about uncomfortable!! The heaviest part of your anatomy hits the ground floor while the mattress billows up around the rest of you.

Thankfully Dick went to our house this afternoon and found the "good" mattress. Why we never threw out the leaky one I will never know. It will definitely be going into the dumpster before we leave here tomorrow.

This morning the men cooked a breakfast of pancakes, sausage, and scrambled eggs for everyone in the retreat center. I spent the morning catching up with friends. Dick, in addition to going to the house for the mattress, also reponded to an ad for a pickup truck cap, which was being sold just a few miles from Woodcrest. He came back with it already installed on the truck.



The crazy (or cool) thing is, he's been trying for two months to buy a cap from a co-worker's brother. But every time he would try to make plans to see it, something would come up and change the plans. I guess all along God knew he would have this one ready for us just in the nick of time!

This afternoon was water slide fun for Destiny. I read my book while I watched her.

Right after our supper in the retreat center there was a hayride for the kids.



This evening was crazy game night. Lots and lots of laughs!
Stacking six brownies on one's forehead,



juggling three balloons,


and many other CRAZY competitions.

Afterward more hanging out and games. Just some good, family multiple-generational fun.





And now I'm lying on our good, firm air mattress, ready for some good zzzzzz's.

5 comments:

Jean said...

I had tried to post a short, but REALLY funny video from game night. When I deleted it, my post finally went through. Too bad.

Joanne said...

it all sounds like fun except for sleeping in a tent on an air mattress. Not for me, Iam the the pop up camper or motor home type. We used to do camping when the kids were all home , we had a pop up camper and even went to florida with it one year. we had friends who had a motor home and we went with them sometimes as well. My favorite prt of camping is the fire at night when we would all sit and chat and do hot dogs and marshmellows and never go to bed until way late.

Mari said...

Those retreats with family and friends are so fun! Glad you have a good air mattress now. I've tried to sleep on a leaky one before, and like you said - it's not fun!

Tonja said...

Sounds like so much fun! Glad you got a better mattress! Why don't we throw out things like that? I'm guilty, too.

Justabeachkat said...

That happened to "Other Mother" on one of our trips...her air mattress had a slow leak. Bless her heart she had a miserable night and didn't tell anyone until morning. So glad you have a good one now.

I know Dick is excited about his truck. I love how God works, don't you?!

Enjoy yourself.

Hugs!
Kat