Yesterday was the last day with students. They were dismissed at noon. There were a number of tearful goodbye hugs. One precious little first grade girl even brought her camera to take a picture of me. I was too busy with classes all morning to even start thinking much about the fact that this would be my last day with students.
After they were gone, however, and it was time to begin clean up in my room the tears started coming close to the surface. One time I walked into the darkened, completely empty gym for something and I just stood there, feeling like I was in a sacred place. So many, many memories of things that took place on that stage.
As I started going through cupboards, drawers, shelves, files, trying to decide what was mine, what was the school's, what would the next person want or not want I felt like I was dismantling my soul. After a while I just had to stop and go home. I'll have more days to work on it.
Today we have staff meeting with the new administrator and then our annual staff lunch at Olive Garden. Leaving after we're done there will really be hard. Then the reality of this decision will hit. Don't worry, I still believe we have made the right choice, that it IS indeed God's choice, but my ties with my coworkers are very deep and strong. They are my best and closest friends.
On a happier note, my lost worship team folder was found yesterday! Yes, in a place I had searched many times on Saturday. During 7th grade class the kids were helping me to take things off my walls, cleaning chalkboards, emptying middle school chorus folders, etc. I was in the kitchen filling a bucket of water when I heard excited girls saying, "Mrs. Stauffer, Mrs. Stauffer! We found your notebook! We found your notebook!" Sure enough, right there with the middle school chorus folders where I had looked carefully on Saturday - several times!! But I guess I never read further than the MCDS on the label - they all say MCDS on the label, but this one also says Worship Team. Unbelievable!
5 comments:
Last things are always a little hard. I usually find that life moves on and the new is great, too. I hope your day isn't too sad =)
I so understand how you are feeling. Knowing that it is the 'right' decision...still doesn't make it an 'easy' decision.
Because I am always off in the summer months, I do not think I will fully 'get it' until August and September when everyone is gearing up for school. I think that is when I will really feel lost.
Changes are always hard. Even good changes. I sure loved seeing all the photos!
Last things are always hard, but the new is so exciting! Eat a bread stick for me at the O.G. They are so good but they make me so sick. How can anything that good be so bad for you????
Those good byes are so hard, but once you get past that day I think you'll do great. After all, you'll soon by saying hello to Austin~!
Post a Comment