As I was getting ready for school this morning I heard the sound of sleet on the bathroom skylight. It didn't last long, but I did have to scrape ice off the windshield of my car before I left. Dick assured me that the temp was well above freezing, so the roads shouldn't be any problem. He was right - they were just wet.
As I usually do on the way to school, I was talking to the Lord, and there were no problems with ice. UNTIL I stepped on the brake pedal as I approached a stop sign. Oh my word. I started sliding right toward the intersection, having absolutely no control over the car. I totally thought I was going to slide right into oncoming traffic. Instead I sideswiped a mailbox and came to a stop - just in time!
I knocked the side mirror on the passenger side of my car, and now it's just hanging on by the remote control cable. The mailbox had only been hanging onto its perch by a bungee cord, and my impact caused it to swing down around, still being held in place by the bungee cord, except now upside down.
I went to their door to tell them what had happened, and they actually laughed, saying it gets hit often, and that's why it had a bungee cord holding it onto the post.
So all's well that ends well, I guess. But wow, I was shaken. I kept imagining if I had not been able to stop.
Thank you, Lord, for your protection!
9 comments:
The same thing happened to me this morning. The roads were wet and I was doing fine till I came to an intersection with a light. I hit the brakes and slid, there was no stopping. I went right through the light, around the corner. There was no traffic or I would have been hit. God was watching out for me today too!
I didn't have any problems for which I was grateful. I had to go to Hilltop to get a pie before I went to work. Thought twice about it as it was sleeting. I hate ice!
I was so busy today. I don't think the sun ever made its' way out of the clouds today did it? And I doubt it got to 50 degrees either. (I was in my basement office without windows for much of the day....)
So happy you are ok. Hope your car can be easily fixed.
Doris
So glad you are all right! Isn't it scary, though ???
Miriam
Yes, Lord, Thank you for keeping my friend safe!
Please be careful, Jean.
I hate to tell you that today it was 72 degrees here and sunny. I put some in a box to send to you! :)
I had something similar happen when I lived in Nashville. I can still remember how frightened I was. I'm so thankful you're okay. Be careful.
Hugs!
Kat
I am so glad that you came out of that slide unscathed. (well, except for the mirror) Dick can fix that!
You will be glad when this winter driving time is over, I am sure.
So glad you are okay, Jeanie. I had a sliding thing happen when we lived in CT the first time. Thankfully there were no cars coming because I had all the kids in the van with me. It is so scary. I LOVE the south - never have to drive on icy roads EVER!!!
I am glad you are safe. It was fun catching up on your site - after being on the west coast for the past week.
Praise God that He protected you! You really didn't need one more hard thing on your plate...
Post a Comment