Saturday, September 27, 2008

What a DAY!

Dick and I are in recovery mode this morning after the big day we had yesterday. While I was at school trying to survive the horrible way I felt with my right ear completely closed, Dick was at the oncologist's office getting his first chemo treatment, which lasted about six hours. I had an appointment at my family doctor at 1:45 for my ear. PRAISE GOD the flushing with warm water was just what that ear needed. I had tried doing it myself, but it hadn't worked. He did my other ear too, so now my ears are waxless and maybe I won't talk so loud anymore, ha, ha, ha!! That'll never happen!

When Dick got home he said he was feeling well enough to go with me to my evening event, so we left for Lancaster Mennonite School at 4:00, got the barbecued chicken meal they were serving, then I had a rehearsal at 6:00 with the choir, followed by a concert at 7:00.
What a BLAST!! There were about 100 people that showed up to sing, people who had sung in Campus Chorale or Choraleers under Arnold Moshier's direction, ranging from 1961 graduates up through the 80's. It was CRAZY trying to figure out who people were. Arnold kept saying throughout the evening, "I'm still trying to figure out who some of these people are!" But it didn't matter. The sound was incredible!! We sang everything from Haydn's The Heavens are Telling and Handel's Hallelujah, Amen to Gaither's He Touched Me. Dad, I just wish you could have been there. You would have absolutely thought you had died and gone to Heaven already.
As I said, he had asked me to do the solo in Jester Hairston's Amen. It goes through Christ's life, from His birth to His resurrection. It was a thrill to be a soloist instead of a director for a change.
This picture is for my sisters who sang under Arnold's direction, but couldn't be there last evening. Here they are - Arnold and Maietta, now in their eighties. I realized again what a huge impact they have had on hundreds of teenagers over the years. He was really, really touched last evening. I think this picture was taken at the end when we were singing the last Hallelujah, Amen of the Festival Doxology (more commonly known in Mennonite circles as 606) with the audience.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Dianne said...

Sounds like you had a great evening!

Mari said...

What a great evening. I'm so glad Dick was able to go too, and that your ear is better. It's one of those things that doesn't sound like it's too bad until you have to deal with it.

Cherdecor said...

It looks like you enjoyed a great evening!

Six hours of chemo! I will continue to pray for him.

I am glad that your problem was only wax! I am glad that you got it cleared before you had to sing last night.

Have a great weekend!

Tonja said...

Jean, that sounds glorious! I know it was a fantastic evening. So glad Duck felt up to going with you! I would have LOVED to hear your solo...and all the rest of the music, too!

Good music endures, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how good the music was last evening! What an honor to be asked to do a solo but I'm not surprised and I'm sure Arnold was not disappointed.
My prayers continue for you and Dick. Everyday I pray that this will be the day that Dick finds another job. Someday, in the Lord's perfect timing, it will be the day. Keep trusting. Barb

Anonymous said...

sounds like a wonderful eve. Glad Dick felt good enough to go with you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I wish I could have gone! Sadly, once again I missed something great because of work...........can't really do much about it. I look at the pictures and so far I don't recognize anybody. They are all so much older!! Ha, ha!

Doris

God's Girl said...

Oh... you and your husband will be in my prayers... Keep singing for Jesus!

All for Him,
Julie