I have many good memories of Mother's Days with our children over the years. But this year's Mother's Day has been looking less and less like a memory-maker. First of all I found out that Anthony and Lori would be going to her parents in New York, which is fine, because they seldom see her family. Then when I called Ray in Virginia Beach on Friday he said he's on duty this weekend and wouldn't be able to come. Finally, worst of all, right before I went to bed Friday night I was reading the newspaper and saw something that made my heart sink right to my toes. Our son Frank, Destiny's dad, was arrested last Saturday night for a variety of things, and was put in jail with an extremely high cash bail amount. We had heard absolutely nothing about it all week, and still have not been able to get a hold of anyone to find out any more about it. I feel half sad and half mad and half like I don't even care anymore. (That's too many halves, isn't it?)
So yesterday I told Sam that I guess he would be the only one of our seven children that would be here for Mother's Day. Today as we arrived home from church I expected to see Sam's car in the driveway. Instead it was Ray's!! Sam arrived soon afterward. I found out that when I was talking to Ray Friday evening he was actually near Washington DC on his way to Sam's place, where he's been this weekend. He wanted to surprise me for Mother's Day. That just made my day!
Sam, Ray, Destiny, Dick, and I went to Hoss's Steakhouse for lunch. It was a fun time.
You can dress me up, but you can't take me out. When I went to get my little ice cream cone at the end of the meal, I held my cone right up beside the thing that you press. I wondered why nothing was coming out. Then I discovered that I was holding my cone at the wrong place, and the icecream had indeed been coming out - a lot of it sitting like a cowpile on the grates under the ice cream "faucets." You'd think I never operated one of those things before.

8 comments:
I'm so glad Ray surprised you and that you were able to enjoy Mother's Day together. I'll be praying for all of you, including Frank as you go through what lies ahead for him.
Jean
I'm sorry about Frank. I'll pray with you that things finally get straight in his life.
But I'm sooo happy that Ray and Sam surprised you.
Cowpile....LOL! You made me chuckle over that word.
You look beautiful today.
Hugs and Happy Mother's Day to YOU!
Kat
Jean, You had me crying then you had me laughing!!! You are something else! I am glad that your Mother's Day turned out really well.
I will email you something I read this morning. I think it will help. . . . . . some.
Wow, what a mix of emotions in this post today. Hope you feel loved and treasured this Mother's Day. So sorry to hear about Frank.
I love you mom. I can't wait until your visit.
I am glad that your mothers day turned out better then expected. I pray that things will work out for your son Frank. That kind of news would make any mothers heart cry out.
That's just like Ray and Sam to surprise you like that! So sweet.
Glad you had a special Mother's Day. Your cowpile story cracked me up!
Will continue to pray for Frank--God have your way. Will also keep praying that God gives you and Dick a heart of faith and wisdom...not an easy thing, I know.
It takes a trip to Hoss's to get me to comment? I read you all the time!
I have fond memories of Hoss's when we lived in Huntingdon about 18 years ago.
My husband was born and raised in Reading and we lived there for 8 years after we were married. I miss the beautiful countryside in Lancaster. We try to visit at least once a year. I MISS RAIN the most!!!!
A reader in Az.
:-)
Margie
Post a Comment