Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Dottie Rambo

This morning I received an email saying that songwriter Dottie Rambo was killed in a bus crash on Sunday morning. Actually, I'll just copy the one paragraph from the email:

Gospel Legend Dottie Rambo Killed in Accident


Gospel singer and songwriter Joyce “Dottie” Rambo died early Sunday morning when the tour bus she was traveling in ran off the road and hit an embankment. En route to a Mother’s Day concert in Texas, the 74-year-old was the only fatality in the crash that occurred about two miles east of Mount Vernon, Mo. Six others sustained moderate to severe injuries, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.



I was a teenager when I first learned of her songs. We were a singing family, and many of her songs quickly became our favorites. The first one I remember was called Remind Me, Dear Lord. Other songs of hers that I remember are In the Valley He Restores My Soul, Too Much to Gain to Lose, We Shall Behold Him, He Looked Beyond My Fault and Saw My Need, Sheltered in the Arms of God, and Mama's Teaching Angels How to Sing. I've enjoyed seeing her on TV from time to time. In fact I was watching a Mother's Day tribute to her as I fell asleep Saturday night. Just a few hours later she would truly Behold the Lamb.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Mari said...

I hadn't heard this. I remember her songs too. What a blessing to know that she is praising face to face now.

Cherdecor said...

Alan heard it on the radio on his way to work this morning and emailed me about it when he got to work.

I imagine it was a shock to the church she was heading to on Mother's Day. I loved her songs too!

Justabeachkat said...

I've never heard of her but I'm saddened to hear of her death. So sad!

Hugs!
Kat

Profbaugh said...

Oh my! This is so sad. I hadn't heard it either. She's one of my dad's favorites.

~Cheryl

Tonja said...

I had not heard this either and I am so sorry. She was amazing. She also wrote some great children's musicals which I still use certain songs from. A real loss. I would imagine she has already secured her place in the 'heavenly' choir by now and is writing some new music for them!