Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Keeping at it, and funny kids

I am really needing to make good use of my time this week in order to be ready for everything that's coming up this weekend. I'm all caught up with my paper grading, in preparation for report card grades. I have word sheets ready to copy for Sunday morning - my school worship team's first time "on the road" this season. I also have my song lists picked for the women's retreat Friday evening and Saturday, but I still need to make word sheets for them. I also need to get everything ready for the youth worship team at my church, who will be leading in my absence this Sunday. And much, much more.

I must tell a funny story from school today. First I must preface it with the definition of an old Pennsylvania Dutch word that my dad used to use when I was growing up. When he meant "vomit" or "throw up" or "hurl" or whatever word you might use for that unpleasant act, he used the word "kutz." I don't even know if that's spelled correctly. It's pronounced just like the word "cuts." I have not heard that word for many, many years. WELL - after school our Pre-K teacher said that one of her little girls was telling her today that she needs the "cuss bucket." Needless to say, the teacher had no clue what she meant. Upon asking the little girl, she was told that it's what you use when you feel like "this," and she proceeded to go through the motions of throwing up. (I also need to add here that this particular little girl is a born drama queen to start with!) When the teacher told this to me after school I informed her that the little girl probably wasn't saying "cuss bucket," but rather "kutz bucket!" Oh, did we get a good laugh over that one. That, and the little boy in her class who kept pulling his sweat pants down during Primary Chorus today, displaying his brightly colored boxers to the boys behind him. Oh my, KIDS!!

10 comments:

Miriam said...

Yes, Jean, you used the correct spelling for the "kutz" bucket. If you check in my side bar on Phebe's blog, you will see that Emma and Rachel are using it quite a bit lately ! How funny !
Miriam

Tropical Mexican said...

I am so glad nobody needed a kutz bucket or a cuss bucket while on vacation.

Did I use that correctly?

Anonymous said...

To add to funny story about the kutz bucket...The little girl who you are talking about has been going to an Amish babysitter since she was born! She is fluent in PA Dutch as well!

Kim

Anonymous said...

This is SO funny! That word had completely been removed from my memory before you told this story.

Doris F.

Anonymous said...

I read your crazy blog last night after Susan went to bed. I had to try not to laugh out loud - that was almost impossible!! mew

Rose said...

Oh my stars, I almost rolled off the chair laughing. I had really forgotten about the word kutz, but it is rather fitting, don't you think =)

krista said...

Yikes, a kutz bucket, and a strip (well sort of) all in one day! Never a dull moment when you're dealing with young children, is there? :-) Very funny story!

Tonja said...

That is a new one to me! I have never heard of that before. Who ever said blogs are not educational?

Dianne said...

I agree with Tonja..how funny!

Susan said...

Boy, you lead a very busy life. Cute stories about the kids.
Susan