Saturday, February 23, 2008

The fun part about snow and ice!

We're having this pro and con discussion among our family members regarding life in the North and life in the South. (See Lori's post from yesterday and the comments if you're curious.) I must add here that on the pro side of living in the North is the fun you can have in the snow. After the snow topped by ice that we had yesterday, conditions were just perfect for Destiny to have a great time with her flying saucer this afternoon. (You gotta click on the picture above to see the delight on her face!)
When I was a kid we lived in a valley with a hill on each side of our farm. I guess they didn't use salt on the roads back in those days, because the roads were often completely covered by packed down snow and we just had a BLAST sledding down those hills, right on the road! There was almost no traffic, obviously! On the one side the road sloped gently for about half a mile. For the braver souls there was the hill on the other side that was much steeper and had two 90 degree turns. We would FLY down that hill, frequently unable to negotiate that second turn! When we were finished we'd go into the house and sit by the coal stove to warm ourselves with hot chocolate.

Good winter memories, indeed!

Hey, Lisa, as much as I hope to join you in the South someday, don't you think Sophie needs to experience sledding at least once in her life? We'll skip the ice skating on the farm pond, though!! Now THAT reminds me of a Saturday story to tell sometime!
Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Mari said...

I used to have such fun sledding too. I grew up on a farm and there were ltos of hills. We would slide down the hill and onto the frozen stream. Good memories!

Dianne said...

Destiny looks like she's having a blast...what FUN! Memories like the ones you shared are great...I have several like that from spending a week at my grandmother's each summer in the country. Since my dad is one of 18kids, I have an aunt who is only 2 years older than me and we just had a blast together. Destiny will look back on these days with you with the same fondness. As I've said before, I am so glad she has you and your husband.

Cherdecor said...

I like the photo that shows Destiny's face! She is absolutely thrilled!

I think I could give up the snow. I was telling Alan today that I would love to live in Charlotte, NC. It is a beautiful town!

Yes, just give me some of that southern sunshine!

Profbaugh said...

Oh yea!! Gotta love the sledding. St. Louis has a "famous" area called Art Hill, where everyone goes to sled. Needless to say, it's getting a lot of visitors today.

~Cheryl

Tropical Mexican said...

We would love for Sophie to experience sledding.

The problem is; the predictability of snow in PA, is about the same as the predictability of a hurricane in FL.

So planning a trip to see snow is kind of difficult, and a last minute trip wouldn't be easy because airports shut down.

So.. we'll come to PA when it's warm to see people.

We'll take our snow business to Colorado so we can make sure Sophie see snow.

As for me the beauty of snow is outweighed by the terror of driving in it.

I like the pictures, but give me heat, humidity, and sun.

Tropical Mexican said...

Cherdecor-

It can snow in Charlotte. We lived there for a year and had snow on Thanksgiving day. But it is rare.

Tropical Mexican said...

Is this discussion over now?

Some like it hot
Some like it cold
Some like it in between

Jean said...

Hey, keep the discussion going, Lisa! It makes it look like I'm getting lots of comments, ha, ha!!

Anonymous said...

I remember the days of snow on all the roads and sleding and horse drawn sleds on the roads. we Just don"t have days like that any more. Wish we did though. I think it would be so much fun once again.

Angela Baylis said...

Glad you enjoy the Winter... It's great you are content. Unlike me, I dream of living in the South. (I live in Michigan.) Maybe I need to go sledding!

Have another fun day today!
Love,
Angie xoxo

p.s. Destiny is adorable!

Tonja said...

Well, if there are even a few flurries here...DEEP SOUTH...everything shuts down. You folks would think us such wimps. But, we are just not equipped for ice and snow. It has snowed here about 5 times that I can remember and only 2 of those times did it even stick around for a while. The last time it did stick...my boys were so delighted to play on it! They decided to build a snow man and when they were finished there was no snow left on the ground...it all went into making 1 sad looking snow creature. I think I will just stay where I am...heat, humidity, and flip flops!

Susan said...

Always pro's and con's of all things!!!!! I remember the fun times on the sled. My kids never got to do much of that.
Susan

In His Grip said...

Ohhh!!! I am so happy someone is enjoying the winter! Our lak here in Michigan has been dangerously thin so no fun to be had. We usually pull sleds behind a golf cart of all things!

BTW...Jean, I never stopped writing, I just switched to writing the book! It's good to be back though. Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Jeanie, I enjoyed your sledding memories. What fun we did have on those hills. Lisa, your 80 degrees sounds great. I loved the warm temperatures when I lived in Mobile, and I try HARD to accept the cold weather we get here. Bad weather brings us more work at the shop, tow in more wrecked vehicles, we all try to give hospitality and help to the victims. MEW Mary Ellen

SC Stauffers said...

Ahhh, yet another reason I love PA. I have so many memories of me and my siblings (6 of us in all) dragging our sleds down to the local park for sledding. My older brother actually broke his jaw one year (ooopsie!). The second picture of Destiny sledding looks terrifying...looks like she could have slammed into a tree! Adults can still go sledding too...ask Anthony. If I can find the video of him sledding in our yard (on his coat) I'll post it on my blog.

Jean said...

Actually, Lori, she did hit a tree, but not a big one. It was our neighbor lady's little seedling maple tree - she went right over it and it sprang right back up again!! We decided she probably shouldn't use that hill anymore!