Thank you, Tonja, for passing this award on to me. I do have plenty of opportunities to practice kindness every day, being around children and middle schoolers. That does not mean that my first impulse is always to be kind. In fact, it often is not. Like when I have forty-some primary students coming into my room for chorus practice and they are all disagreeing about where they should stand on the risers, some of the boys are acting like the risers are gym equipment, a child or two has something urgent to tell me right NOW and follows me every step I take.... and it turns out that the urgent thing is about a tooth or some such thing, and the other child just wanted to ask me (as slowly as possible) if we're going to sing a specific song he likes. And then someone sneezes all over the people in front of him, so he needs a tissue, which reminds 10 other children that they need tissues as well. Meanwhile, a few girls are talking about a song we practiced last time, so they start excitedly singing it while I'm taking care of all these other urgent issues, but that's not the song I had planned to start with. Oh, and I forgot the clowns. The clowns are the ones that think every class period is a show all about themselves, and they are there doing everything they can to ensure that they are being watched. Ah yes, everyday kindness! (I know it sounds like I'm completely out of control, but I'm really not.) My everyday kindness takes the form of sitting at the piano with "the look", and waiting until everyone shushes everyone else and says, "She's ready."Thank God there are plenty of times each day when kindness comes easily. I thank God for giving me a compassionate heart.
7 comments:
Hey Jean - when you have time, stop by. I tagged you for a Meme!
PS - congratulations on this award. Your kindness does show through here!
Congratulations on your award! You are a very kind and patient person.
I was happy to read your comment below that Scott's surgery went well and that they even fixed something they had missed the first time. I will keep praying for him.
I think you are a kind and patient person.
Hi sweet and KIND friend. Congrats on a well deserved award!
I'm still praying for Scott. Please keep us updated.
Hugs!
Kat
As of last evening Scott was still on the respirator and needed to be kept confined, as he was trying to pull the breathing tube out when he was somewhat sedated. Betty thought they will be able to take him off the respirator today. I'll update this evening. Thanks for caring.
Have you been sitting in on my classes? :) I understand totally what you are talking abou! Sometimes I just want to run screaming from the room and not come back. I know you've been there.
Hope Scott continues to do well.
Tonja
Post a Comment