Friday, January 11, 2008

Congratulations, Lindsey!

I want to congratulate our neice, Lindsey Stauffer, for the honor of having one of her paintings accepted into the American Watercolor Society, an honor that many more experienced artists are still waiting and hoping for. I went to the American Watercolor Society's website, and sure enough, there was her name listed with the 2008 exhibitors. I have Lindsey's gallery website listed with the links on my sidebar, so pay her a visit and enjoy.

I have two "out of the mouth of babes" quotes to share today. The first one is funny and the second is sweet. Yesterday I gave the one kindergarten class a worksheet to do. Most of the children were capable of doing it independently, but one little boy usually needs a lot of coaching, so I was sticking right by his side. As he was beginning to really "get it" I was saying things like, "That's GREAT! See you can do it." At one point he looked around at the others and told them how far he was on the paper. One of the other boys said, "We're already finished." I quickly jumped in and said that "J" is not finished yet, but he's really doing a great job. Then "J" said, "Yeah, I'm so great my brain is sweaty." I just cracked up and he loved it.

As I said last week, I introduced the Casting Crowns song, Who Am I to each class. By now they know it really well and sing it with a lot of emotion. Yesterday when fourth grade finished singing it, one of the girls said, "That is my favorite song of my whole life. When we're singing that song I just feel something."

This afternoon I met with my middle school worship team for the second time. In order to get to know each other better we took time to share. I had them go around the circle (seventeen kids) and each share, first of all, something really hard they have experienced, then something really good they have experienced. What a neat time, even some tears. I can just tell this is a really special group this year, and I'm so excited to see how the Lord is going to use them.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Mari said...

Love the quote - kids say the funniest things! Sounds like you had a good day today. Congrats to your niece - what an honor!

Mari said...

I just visited Lindseys site and she is very talented! What absolutely beautiful paintings!

Tonja said...

There is so much more to singing than just getting the right rhythm and pitch. I have always thought that when children understand what they are singing, and why they are singing it, it adds another whole dimension. It often takes a song from good to great!

Good for Lindsey!

Justabeachkat said...

Congrats to Lindsey!

You touch so many lives Jean! I know your heart wants to burst with pride sometimes when you listen to what the children have to say.

Hugs!
Kat