Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Twenty-five years

Today I began to think about what we were doing twenty-five years ago. My mother was nearing the end of her short battle with cancer and our family began gathering at the hospital on Saturday, November 6th. Most of us stayed the entire night. When she was still lingering as morning arrived, some of us went home to help our families get ready for church, expecting to go back to the hospital, wanting to be there when she left. But it was while we were home that she took her last breath. My dad and oldest sister Janet were there.

Twenty-five years have passed here on earth. I wonder what those twenty-five years have been like for her. What is twenty-five years anyway, in light of eternity?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember being at the veiwing and your words to me just be thankful you still have your mother. We just never know when its our time. Just reading your blog brings back so many memories. I remember the july 4th reunion and your mother was not feeling good then. It was a cold july 4th It was raining and just miserable. I Am not sure if it was on the 4 for sure but it was on a sunday around that time. And by the way happy birthday. I have mine comming up next month also.

Tonja said...

She's been dancing with the angels and singing in the choir...just waiting for the rest of the family to join her.

Have you read 90 MINUTES IN HEAVEN
by Don Piper? An excellent book and such a comfort to those of us who have loved ones waiting for us there.

Dianne said...

That would be an awesome question to know the answer to. I agree with Tonja...90 Minutes in Heaven is a FABULOUS book. If you haven't read it, I recommend it too. I've read parts of it two or three times and love it every time.

Anonymous said...

How well I remember that evening. It was so hard to let her go. That whole experience had so many ups and downs and was so emotionally draining. I thank the Lord for a very loving family who supported each other.