Tuesday, September 04, 2007


After Ray changed into civilian clothes we headed down to the Naval base to see Ray's world.
This was our first sight of the bay as we drove across the bridge into the Naval Air Station.
Ray showed us where he eats, goes to class, and the barracks where he lives (the outside of the buildings only.) He said that I was not allowed to take pictures of the buildings, much to my disappointment. We walked out to the beach and had fun watching fish jumping out of the water. I've never seen anything like it! Then we went to a food court where the sailors and their visitors can hang out. We got sodas and talked for a long time.
After that we drove to the Cordova Mall. Ray's wedding band was too small, so we dropped it off at a jeweler to be resized, then walked through the mall. Ray was just so glad to have the chance to get off the base and do something "normal". He has such a great sense of humor and was so much fun to be with. We also got used to having conversations with Thyda too. They have cell phones on the same plan and keep in touch many, many times a day. I felt so sorry for her, because I knew she just longed to be there with us (and him, of course!!) in person.

Dick and I were so sleepy by then, so we took Ray back to the base and went to our hotel. Only after we were back did I realize that I had not set my watch to the time change and it was only 9:00 instead of 10:00!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was looking through your blog and the picture of the Cordova Mall looked vaguely familiar. I asked Steve about it and he designed that mall entrance in the picture. They were doing a mall renovation in 2005. He also designed the Macaroni Grill just to the right of it. Steve was all excited to see the finished product of his hard work! Glad y'all had a good weekend!