Wednesday, June 27, 2007

What is buzzing???

This afternoon while Destiny had her play date with her kindergarten friend, I worked at home instead of in my classroom. The house was quiet. I was going through Destiny's outgrown clothes in her closet when I had to go to the bathroom. I used the one closest to her room. As I "went" I heard a strange buzzing sound coming from inside the cabinet under the sink. I opened the doors and thought it sounded like the water pipes were buzzing. Hmmm. An excavator had just been digging in preparation for the walkway, so my first thought was that maybe he had dug into a pipe or something. I went outside, but could see or hear nothing unusual. I came back inside and listened to it again. I was having flashbacks of two years ago when, just two weeks after we moved here, a water pipe under our master bathroom sink had burst and we had a flood. (That will make a good Saturday story sometime.)

I got my cell phone and called Dick. I asked him what could be making a buzzing noise under the bathroom sink. He had no idea. He went through all kinds of diagnostic questions. I checked if the pipes seemed to be vibrating at all, but no, they were not. I even held the phone to the pipe so he could hear what it sounded like. He couldn't hear it.

I was about to tell him he'd better come home and check it out, because it definitely sounded like something was wrong. Then I started pushing things around down there, and as I shoved the stack of towels over, the buzzing became much louder. It surprised me and I exclaimed, "Oh my goodness, I just moved these towels and now it's really loud!" What WAS it??? I started to pull the towels out of the cabinet, when lo and behold, what did I find, but Ray's battery operated tooth brush, just buzzing away!! I told Dick what I found, and he said, "It had to be Destiny. His tooth brush has been up in the cabinet." Well, I just laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed. Dick said, "Are you going to be alright?"

Yes, I was alright. I found out since he came home that he got his share of chuckles out of it this afternoon too. I remembered that when we were getting ready to leave for the gym this morning, Destiny said, "I already brushed my teeth." I thought that was amazing. She never thinks about brushing her teeth in the morning without a reminder.

On the way home from her friend's house this afternoon I asked her about it. Yes, she had found that tooth brush and had tried it out, but she didn't know how to turn it off, and she was afraid I would be mad at her for using Ray's tooth brush, so instead of asking me to turn it off, she hid it in the towels under the sink!!

What a relief. I'll take a hidden buzzing toothbrush any day over burst pipes and a flood!

7 comments:

Cherdecor said...

That is a good story, and it isn't even Saturday! I really laughed at that one!

Dianne said...

That's so funny and just like a kid, or US sometimes, to hide the things we think we'll get in trouble for! :-) I'm glad it was a happy ending!

Tracey said...

Jean, that is too funny! You're right, better that than water pipes about to burst!

Justabeachkat said...

Oh my! You had me going there for a minute. Right as you said the noise got louder when you moved the towels, my heart starting pounding. I'm not kidding. You know what I was thinking right? Yep, a rattlesnake! Yuk! Guess all the snakes I've seen lately have got me picturing them everywhere. Last night we saw another one when we were riding our bikes. I'm always in the lead and this one was slithering across the sidewalk right in front of me. I lifted my legs as high as I could and squeeled!

Hugs!
Kat

Jean said...

Believe me, Kat, if that had been a rattlesnake, I would not have been around to tell the story later!!

Tonja said...

Life is never dull, is it? I was afraid it was going to be bees. My neighbor had them nest in her chimney once and they began coming into her house!

All's well that end's well.

Anonymous said...

That is so funny.

We had that happen in a piece of luggage while traveling one time. We had that same buzzing sound in a suitcase when we went to pick it up in the baggage area!