Tuesday, August 26, 2025

Getting ready for Portland

 We’re on our way to Portland!  And I have in-flight WiFi access on this flight, so I’m going to try to do a post before I fall asleep.  

Our days have been mostly low-key since my last post as we did all the things necessary for being away 11 days in addition to our regular jobs. 

One morning I did more than planned. I was looking for something that I was SURE was in my big bathroom cupboard. WELL.  I had the most ridiculous accumulation of STUFF in there. Just in case, I guess. I DID find what I was looking for, but I also threw out a trashcanful of stuff. And I organized all the shelves.  Whew!!  This actually doesn’t look like that much, but trust me - there are layers underneath what you can see!




Just the other week I was going through the linen shelves in search of sheets for each bed in our cabins at KOA.  I would need four sets of queen and two sets of twin.  It’s been 8 years since we’ve had a full size mattress, but you guessed it - there were full size sheet sets in there!  So I got rid of them and organized all the sheet sets. So that feels good too. 


I did my toenails!!  My poor aching feet. My poor crooked toes. But I got it done. I realized after I finished that it was a brighter red than I like, but oh well…



  

I got new inserts last week on Amazon for my Brooks, ones that are especially for Plantar Fasciitis and are Amazon’s Choice.  Some days I think they are wonderful, other days I’m not so sure.  This morning as we dashed through the Detroit airport I decided they are a godsend.  But I have so many other issues.  Hard callouses that I keep needing to remove, one of them on the ball of my foot and one between my big toes and the next.  Now the bone on the outside of my right foot (right before my little toe) hurts like crazy when I wear my Birkies for more than five minutes.  


Can you tell that I have plenty of time and nothing else to do, lol??  All these detailed woes about my feet.  All the things you never cared to know.


Here’s a picture from Thursday. I came out of the store where I buy bird seed and saw that someone had parked their car like that!  Good grief!  Of course it was my car.  What can I say?



I had been out of bird seed for about a week, and after the feeder was filled it was like Walmart on Black Friday out there!



On Sunday morning the praise band led the music with me. They come just once a month and it’s my favorite Sunday every time. We just fit together so well - piano, flute, cello, guitar, bass, drums.  I wanted to make a video of just our prelude to share with you, but the church iPad was at someone else’s house since we would be going away.   Here’s a screen shot from the video.  I’m that little white head behind the piano. 



And now my most recent flower pictures as I said goodbye to them last evening.








So last evening Dick and I went to bed early - he at 6:30 or 7, me at 9ish.   We slept a few hours then got up and showered and finished packing and left the house at 2:00 am.  Our first flight was out of Harrisburg (a two-hour drive.)  


At the airport I saw a group of conservative Mennonite girls.  I had a feeling I might be related to them, so I walked over to them and said that I’m interested to see if any of them might be my cousin.  We started dropping names and sure enough!  Two of them were granddaughters of two of my cousins!  We had so much fun exchanging and comparing information.  I wish I had gotten a picture with them.  But I did take this picture of a few of them at the service desk.  



Our first flight took us to Detroit  That was a small plane and we were squeezed into the very back seat.  On this flight to Portland we have three seats!  So we’ve been comfortable and spreading out.  




Some guy is snoring pretty loudly from time to time.  I keep checking if it’s Dick, but thank goodness it’s not, haha!




I’ll finish this post with two wing pictures - the first was early this morning as we left Harrisburg, the second was taken just now as we are flying over northern Idaho I think.  




That’s it till Portland!


2 comments:

Mari said...

Good job on cleaning cupboards! I always end up throwing stuff away too and then I feel guilty for wasting money! But it does feel good to get it organized.
Your parking job made me laugh.
Your flowers are still so pretty.
Love the flight pics! Have a great time!

Terri D said...

I am only going away for six days, but I had to do laundry, run the dishwasher, dust and vacuum... and of course, got my refrigerators both cleaned out. Crazy but it sure feels good to come home to a clean house and no extra laundry. I know you two will have the best time with your kiddos and I look forward to your posts from Portland! Have fun!