What strange weather we've had this week! Very little need for the AC because our temps have probably not hit the 80's at all. And the sky is so hazy, which they say is the result of the smoke from the wild fires having traveled across the country. Jeremy and I were talking on the phone last evening about it. Because of COVID we can't travel to see them and they can't travel to see us, but the smoke can travel anyway. I told him I'll just look up at the sky and say, "Awww, were you just at Jeremy's house?" Pathetic indeed. That's how bad our humor is these days.
Here's a picture I took last evening of the sky.
I found a new autumn swag for my front door at TJ Maxx the other day and couldn't wait to hang it up. But I noticed when I got into the car yesterday that it doesn't exactly sync with the summer flowers. I'll get pumpkins and mums one of these days.
Last Thursday evening we had an outdoor meeting at GBRV to discuss the next step. We've had 13 Sundays in a row with good weather for an outdoor service! But we know much cooler weather is coming. At this point we are planning to have our first indoor service the first Sunday of October. It takes a LOT of planning to keep within COVID guidelines. However Dick and I will not miss the work of setting up each Sunday!
On Friday I drove to Manheim for a very special reunion at my friend Sheree's house. Back in April when I was cleaning out old photos I found some great ones of our times together as young moms. I sent them to a few that I have as FB friends, and out of that the idea for a reunion was born. Of course at that time we thought September would be a good time for it - after COVID was out of the picture. HA! So of course we had it outside on Sheree's lovely, spacious deck. How FUN it was!!
When we were young moms we all belonged to LaLeche League, which was a breastfeeding support group. But it was much more than that. An older, conservative Mennonite woman (Grace) was our mentor in all things pertaining to mothering and life in general. We believed in natural everything - natural childbirth (at home if possible), natural food, natural baby-feeding. We were CRUNCHY GRANOLA all the way! Getting back together after all these years was beyond words. Even Grace, who is now in her 80's, was there! It was like no time had passed at all, even though it's been over 30 years! We had so much fun reminiscing and laughing and catching up on each others' lives and children and grandchildren. We decided we absolutely must do this again, and Sheree's lovely deck was so perfect, we all want to do it there again next year. Quite a few people were unable to come, so maybe they will come if we do it again.
I also had an impromptu get-together with my sisters at Mary Ellen's house. We first of all sat on her patio, but after a while the bees were flying all around us. We were afraid we would swallow one with our coffee, so we had to go inside. She has such beautiful flowers in the back yard of her townhouse.
On Sunday afternoon we went to the 20th anniversary party for our friends Peg and Bill. It was raining a bit, so there were canopies set up, and we brought our little one along too. Their favorite band, Biscuit Jam, was providing music and a caterer had food. It was a really nice, laid back afternoon.
Of all things, I did not even get one picture of Peg and Bill, so here's one I took in August when we stopped in to get some of their tomatoes. Love them so much! They've been good friends to us ever since we landed in this community ten years ago.
Dick has been spending time at his hunting shack whenever he gets a chance. His latest project was painting it to look camouflaged! He also likes to do target practice with his bow and arrow.
Look at this! A post on FB about Sound of Music this week reminded me of this book that I read to our children years ago. I looked on our shelves and was delighted that I still have it. To my complete surprise, when I opened it, there was Maria Trapp's autograph! I have absolutely no idea where I ever got this book! I'm definitely not getting rid of it now!
How about this handsome boy?? It was picture day this week at school and this is the outfit he chose! Third grade business man, haha! I love him so much!!
And of course I need to post pictures of precious Elizer! Destiny sends me pictures almost every day. I could just sit and look at him for hours! He's four weeks old already!
Only one flower picture this week! As I said before, I am so delighted with the variety of sunflowers from one pack of seeds!
That Elizer is SO little and SO adorable!! Sammy looks like a little man! Jean, I just loved this post (well, all of your posts)! They are always full of love and fun!! Thanks for sharing your weeks with us!!
1 comment:
That Elizer is SO little and SO adorable!! Sammy looks like a little man! Jean, I just loved this post (well, all of your posts)! They are always full of love and fun!! Thanks for sharing your weeks with us!!
Post a Comment