Wednesday, August 12, 2020

A wonderful weekend

Another week has gone by, and here we are almost in the middle of August!!   We had lovely pink skies this evening. 


Is anyone else struggling with some aspects of the new Blogger?  My biggest gripe is that I used to be able to just drag and drop my pictures from Photos into my blog post.  Maybe they decided they didn't want it to be that easy for us MAC users who don't use Google Photos.  The part that bugs me even more is that there are some pictures that are definitely in Photos here on my computer, but they are missing when I open the "insert image" feature here in Blogger.  Guess I should file a complaint.  I haven't even looked if that is a possibility. 

This was probably the busiest week I've had since March.  On Thursday I sat on the side porch in my pj's and got lots of things done.  I did some mending, talking on the phone with our step mothers, and listening to some older worship songs from the 90's that really fill my soul.  Later I washed all our many kitchen windows, in and out.  For some reason the top half of our windows do not tilt in, so I have to wash the outside of them by standing on a ladder.  Not my favorite thing, but I got it done.  I love clean windows that you can't even see. 


 
After cooking for Anthony and Lori on Friday and getting groceries, I made these cute egg muffins.  I knew we would have two big days on the weekend, and I wanted to make sure there would be something ready for a quick breakfast that was suitable for Dick's diet.  



On Saturday morning we left the house around 8:30 and drove to Lancaster County.  We were going to the drive-through family visitation for Dick's cousin Gloria's husband.  Bless Gloria's heart!  They had had a funeral and burial in Honduras where DeLynn died (sudden heart attack), then she flew to her home area in Ohio, where they had a memorial service.  Then she came to PA, DeLynn's home area, and had this drive-through event.  She posted Saturday evening that she had hit a brick wall.  I think she is vacationing with family at a lake this week, and I'm really, really glad.  At some point she and her daughter and son-in-law will be returning to their home in Costa Rica, and there will be another big memorial service there.  She said that returning without him will be when she needs the most prayer.  My heart aches so very much for her.  He was an amazing man, with a tremendous impact on many, many people all over Central and North America and probably beyond.  



From there we went to drop off some baby gifts from GBRV with Destiny and Alex.  I got to see the nursery!  Alex's dad had sent me the picture of them putting the crib together last week.  She's really ready!  



From there we drove to Manheim and stopped to see Dad Stauffer's gravestone.  As we looked at it I noticed that 2020 had been engraved into it, and I said, "Well, there it is.  2020."  For whatever reason it brought tears to our eyes.  It felt so final that he really is no longer here.  

Then we went to Pleasant View Communities and had a delightful porch visit with Grandma Arlene.  We had not seen her in so long. 



From there we drove to Richland Christian Home for a visit with Grandma Mary.  She had to stay up on the deck and we sat below, but it was fine.  We had a really sweet time together.   She's so very eager for quarantine restrictions to be lightened.  

They had such lovely flowers there!



On Sunday morning we had the EIGHTH Sunday in a row of rain-free weather for our outdoor service at GBRV.   We really enjoy having it outdoors, although it IS a lot of work getting everything set up each week and I really don't enjoy playing the portable keyboard. 



We left right from church and drove the 1 1/2 hours to Sam's place.  It was Bianca's 6th birthday and we had very special plans.  Earlier this summer I noticed on a FB friend's post that they had gone on the Millersburg Ferry.  Dick remembered doing that when he was a kid, but I never had.  

After we picked up Sam and the kids we drove about half an hour to Millersburg.  I had a picnic lunch packed and a birthday cake, so first of all we sat at a picnic table along the riverfront and ate.  It was SO BEAUTIFUL!!!  In fact, Sammy declared that he felt like we were in a fairy tale!


When we were finished eating we waited for the ferry to arrive.  Some people chose to drive their cars onto it and go just one way, getting off on the other side of the Susquehanna River.   We decided to walk on and go round trip.  We LOVED it!!!!






Notice the white stuff on some of the walls?  We wondered what it was.  When I asked the driver he said they were hellgrammite eggs.  The he pulled out a soda bottle that had some hatched insects in it.  I said, "My grandchildren would enjoy seeing this!"  I called the kids to come over.  As soon as Sammy saw them he said, "Oh, they are hellgrammites!" All the adults were so impressed that he knew what they were.  I don't think any of us had ever heard of them!


And then we got back to Millersburg.  We were hot and decided to get some cool refreshments at the little Sweet Treats shop.  Such a beautiful place to sit!



Then we drove back toward Sam's place.  I was totally enjoying myself as I transferred my pictures from my camera to my phone and looked at all of them, and we all talked about what a great time we had had.  We needed something at an Advanced Auto Parts store, which was beyond his place, so we went there first.  When Dick came out to the car, he handed me the receipt.  I bent down to put it into my purse, which I always keep at my feet.  IT WAS NOT THERE!!! I exclaimed in disbelief, "My purse is not here!"  

We tried to think back to when I last had it.  I remembered paying for the ice cream, so I knew I had it then.  Then I remembered that I had put it on the very colorful chair which was right next to the high top table where we sat.  When I took pictures I moved my purse under our table because I didn't want it to be on that chair for the picture!  I guess when we walked to the car, and I had both my phone and my camera, I just didn't think about my purse. YIKES!!  Almost an hour had passed since we left that place!  What a horrible feeling!!  

We remembered that the place was called Sweet Treats, so I googled it and called the phone number.  The woman who answered was not there, but she said she would call the girls who were working and get back to me.  It wasn't long till she returned my call with the good news that a woman had noticed it and handed it in to the girls  And they would be open till 8:30 PM.  WHEW!!!!

So that gave us plenty of time to stop for dinner at Riverfront Bar and Grill, as we had hoped to do.  What a lovely view while eating!  Sammy was running a trivia game as we ate, this time questions about me!  He discovered that I know a lot more about me than I do about who sang what song, etc.  Every question he asked was followed with my long, storied answer!  



After we dropped them off at Sam's place we went to Millersburg to get my purse before going home.  It was even more beautiful in the evening sun!  There were a lot of people lined up at Sweet Treats when we got there.  I slid quietly past them and said to the girl at the window, "I'm the lady that forgot her purse." She handed it to me and I again slid past all those people, not making eye contact, and I was glad that my mask was providing cover, haha!  

 

That's all for this time.  Have a great rest of the week!

1 comment:

Terri D said...

I hate the way the new blogger does photos now, and I DO have Google photos. We can only pull in one photo at a time. I used to drop all the photos I wanted to use into the photo holder and you could go back and pull the ones you wanted to use into your blog. Now it is one photo at a time and is a royal pain the the you-know-what! Your photos are always beautiful! The kids are so cute and is sounds like they had a great time on the ferry - all of you had a great time! I am happy someone honest found your purse and you were able to retrieve it without too much trouble. I enjoy hearing about your adventures! xo