Dick has tried so hard to protect our flowers through the freezing temperatures we've had. We're thankful for each one that is surviving.
The sun is bright and we're in the 50's today.
A week ago we had the snow, then on Wednesday came the wind. I had made dinner for Anthony and Lori and needed to get it over to them. I definitely did not want to try getting up their hill, so I decided to take it to Dick at work and let him deliver it. The drive to and from Dick's shop was not fun. There were a few times that the blowing snow was like a white out - I couldn't see the cars coming in the other direction or the edge of my side of the road. I was thankful to be back home again. This is what it looked like outside my window lots of times.
In the evening I heard loud banging on the porch. When I opened the door this is what I saw. I decided that the poor rocker wanted to come inside and was knocking on my door, even on its knees begging, hahahaha!
Thursday was still cold and windy, but not nearly as bad. I was glad to be able to go to Bible Study in the morning, did a big grocery shopping run for the weekend, and had choir practice in the evening.
On Saturday they arrived here around noon. Dick was at work, so we loaded up in my van to meet him there. He had just gotten off work. We went from there to Sowers Harvest Cafe in downtown State College. We love the atmosphere, the people who own it, and the delicious food. It's just a really nice place to take out-of-town guests. But wow!! I have never seen it so crowded! We were very lucky that a table opened up for us, actually two tiny tables pushed together in a very tight corner by the back door. I think they are going to have to find a bigger location.
And here are the handsome Stauffer brothers!
From there we went to the other place we always like to take our out-of-town guests - Berkey Creamery. Another crowded place where I was lucky to grab a table just as its occupants were getting up to leave. And here are the Stauffer brothers' lovely wives!
When we got back we were full and sleepy. The guys took no time to get comfy in the living room, but Faye and I opted to go for a walk first. (Bless Faye - it was her idea.) It had been so long since we'd ever had a chance to talk without lots of other talking and noise going on, so when we got back from our walk we were not in the mood for a nap anymore and just kept talking and talking and talking, first on the porch and then at the kitchen table. After a while we overheard the guys' conversation in the living room and joined them for some more talking.
Before we knew it, it had been hours since we'd eaten. So I got busy putting together some Southwest Quesadillas for our dinner. Faye had also brought some BBQ chicken from the mud sale at the Penryn Firehall near their place. Was it ever delicious!
Before cleaning up the mess in the kitchen we headed to the piano. Steve played Dick's 12-string, I played the piano, and we sang through some favorite worship songs together.
When our children were young we had a group called The Freedom Singers. (This was after the Witmer Trio had stopped taking singing engagements.) In the group Dick played guitar, I played keyboard, our friend Don played bass, and Steve, I, and another female sang vocals. We started with a friend Nancy for a year, then Linda for a couple of years, and then my sister Doris for a few years. Let me tell you, we were pretty good, and I can't believe we never recorded. So it was fun to be singing with Steve again.
The wrestling championships in St. Louis were on TV and it was getting really exciting for Penn State, so the guys kept a watch on that while Faye and I cleaned up the mess in the kitchen.
Meanwhile in Reading something very exciting was taking place. Frank had told me earlier in the week that he was planning to take Lauren out to eat Saturday evening. Meanwhile her friends were going to be getting the house ready for a party and he was going to be asking her to marry him. His plans worked out - he did ask her and she did say yes! She says it was the happiest evening of her whole life! We are very happy for them. He wants a big wedding, so she's getting to work on all the planning.
On Sunday morning we had a light snow, the beautiful kind that was clinging to the trees. I was really disappointed that my flute player was not going to be able to make it to church. I had a beautiful offertory planned and I really wanted Steve and Faye to hear her. But I had to come up with plan B. I asked Steve if he wants to sing with me, and Dick suggested that the four of us could sing "The Mennonite Anthem." (If you missed my video of the Stauffer's singing this song around the table a few weeks ago, go back to my March 4 post.) We practiced in the kitchen and decided it would work!
This was the beautiful view as we left for church.
At Fillmore there were a number of people missing from the choir, so Steve and Faye sang with our choir song too - a beautiful choral version of Jesus Messiah. And our offertory went great too. We were SO glad to have them there with us!
After the service at Fillmore we went to Calvary. This was the beautiful view from the lobby there.
Lori and Anthony came here after church for lunch - my favorite chicken noodle soup with crusty bread. Faye had brought blueberry cobbler for our dessert. There was a lot of story-telling and laughter. (Please excuse the napkin on Dick's head! He said he was keeping the glare down!)
Later in the afternoon we all went over to Anthony and Lori's so Steve and Faye could see their place. Then Steve and Faye headed home to Lancaster County and Dick and I headed home for naps. I felt sorry for Steve and Faye needing to drive for several hours, but usually it's us making that trip home in the opposite direction.
I'll finish off this post with some adorable pics of Hunter. Here he's modeling the camouflage onesie that Dick got for him.
At his one-year check-up. Seriously, it doesn't get much cuter than this!!!
Except maybe this - smiling in his sleep!
Have a good rest of the week!










5 comments:
You can sure tell they are brothers!
Looks like a great visit😊
What a fun life you live, Jean! Always busy with something going on! Know you enjoyed your guests. And that snow is so pretty. But, I would be so scared of driving in it...if it ever snows here...it is gone in an hour! Enjoy the springtime...glad some flowers made it!
Oh that Hunter, he is adorable! Steve and Faye were a God-send to you to fill in for the people who could not be there. I know it was good singing.
This post was filled with all sorts of goodness! The weather is very changeable here too. No crocuses here yet.
I think all the Stauffers are beautiful - inside and out!
Congrats to Frank and Lauren!
That Hunter is just so cute. He brings a smile to my face every time you show a pic.
It's always so great when siblings can spend time together! I miss my sisters. Looks like you all had such a great time! Hunter is adorable and that photo sitting on the scale is beyond precious.
Post a Comment