Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Dick and Jean Stauffer Family Reunion - part three

On Sunday we had our second family day at Sam and Jenn's place.  Destiny and J'von were not able to be there, but all the rest of us were there.  We had leftovers from the day before and ordered some pizzas.  I also made some of my peanut butter rice krispie treats since the cookies had gotten pretty well demolished on Saturday.  We really did not have any agenda except to relax and be together.  Sam and Jenn's place was the perfect place for that, and we had a wonderful time.


















I'm saving two pictures for last.  And they have a back story that I must tell first.  And before I even tell the back story, let me say that I am well aware that there are many differences among my readers, family, and friends regarding the use of alcohol.  I have no issue with any of them.  I personally have no desire to drink alcohol.  

Twelve plus years ago Jeremy won a weekend for two at a hotel at the beach, complete with meals and complimentary champagne.  He gave that weekend to Dick and me.  When we arrived at the hotel the champagne was waiting for us.  I honestly did not know if it was an alcoholic beverage or not!  So we called Jeremy to ask him.  He told us it indeed was.   So we did not open it.  Well, it totally cracked him up that we had to call and ask, and he immediately called Lisa and Anthony to tell them.  They thought it was such a hoot and said he should have told us it was not alcoholic.  

We told them afterward that we were going to save that bottle of champagne for a real celebration.  We would not open it until we had all seven children together!  I remember the evening before my dad's funeral in 2009 when everyone except Miki was at our Lititz house.   We mentioned that bottle of champagne, and Frank said,  "Call Miki!  How long do you think it would take her to get here?"  

So now in 2014 when Miki told us that she and Ingo would be coming over here for their honeymoon, Lisa called to figure out when would be the best weekend for them to come up over that time, and we started working on our plans.  And we DID bring that 12-year-old bottle of champagne!  

Oh the laughter and jokes as we got it out and uncorked it.  There was almost no fizz and it tasted absolutely sour and horrible!  It was the thought that counted, haha!  And the wonderful reality that we were ALL together.  



Around 3:00 Thyda and Ray needed to leave.  She had to drive back to Virginia Beach, and before they left we had prayer together, thanking the Lord that we had all been able to be together, that we had all had traveling safety to get there, and asking Him for the same as we again went our separate ways.  

  Lisa and George's wedding in July 1998 was the last time we were all together!  I do hope and pray we will not need to wait another sixteen years!

6 comments:

Mari said...

Oh Jean! I've so enjoyed this time with all of you. I'm actually a little teary at the end of this post. What a wonderful time together.
PS - I love that you saved the champagne for all of you to be together.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I've enjoyed reading about your family. It looks like you guys had an amazing time. Awesome family bond.

Jean said...

Thank you, Anonymous! I'd love to know who you are! Please email me at musicaljean@gmail.com

Mary Ellen said...

Of all the things your threw away when you moved, it is a hoot that you didn't loose that bottle!! Makes for a good story!

Jean said...

That bottle made it safely in Dick's bottom dresser drawer through three moves - from Hossler Road to Lititz, from Lititz to our dorm room in Anthony's basement, and from there to our current house!

Cherdecor said...

I am glad that you gave the back story to those last pictures or you would have had some 'splain'n to do!!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahahahaha! You guys are a HOOT!