Thursday, April 03, 2014

Here's the Scoop

Dick posted on Facebook earlier this week that he'll be starting another round of treatments next Tuesday.  Some have asked about that.  So here's the scoop.

As I'm sure most of you know, Dick was diagnosed with Lymphoma in 1996, and has had chemo treatments numerous times over the years since then.  It's actually been four years since he finished up a series of maintenance treatments.  Since then he's had several PET scans and biopsies and one minor surgery to remove a lump on his scalp that was malignant.  

Puzzling to us over the past nine months has been his increasingly protruding forehead.  A biopsy in the fall was negative for Lymphoma.  A PET scan around that time showed a few areas of concern in his neck and lower abdomen (not necessarily Lymphoma, however) but we chose to take the route of waiting a few months and seeing what another PET scan would show.   A PET scan in February showed that one of those areas had grown a bit.  There was also another biopsy, a deeper one, scheduled for his forehead.  This time it came back positive for Lymphoma.   We were given the possibility of radiation on just his forehead while keeping a watch on those other areas, or going ahead with a "systemic" treatment, chemo.  After talking with Lisa and Anthony, we decided to go ahead with chemo.  

We're disappointed, but we're not devastated.  We're disappointed that he'll need to use up practically all of his paid vacation days for treatments in a year that we have some major family events coming up. We're disappointed that his body will have more of those drugs put into it.   We're disappointed that he will likely experience some unpleasant side effects.   

But on the bright side, we know that he has always handled treatments amazingly well.  And we have health insurance that will take care of the outrageous cost of the treatments.  We are surrounded by so many friends and family that we know will pray and care.  And we also know this:


Those lyrics from Desert Song by Hillsongs caught my attention this morning as I assembled bulletins at the office - a time when my mind tends to wander and worry if I don't purposely rein it in.  

Dick will start his first treatment on Tuesday and Wednesday this coming week.  Plans are for three more treatments to follow, at four-week intervals.  

So it goes without saying - we are again, as the old Spiritual says,  "Standing' in the need of prayer."




10 comments:

elaine said...

Thanks for the update! I have been praying, but also wondering what is going on. Love you guys! And standing with you in love and prayer!!

Barb said...

Thanks so much for explaining all of this. We will most certainly be praying for you and hoping the treaments will not cause too many side affects.

Sally Ripka said...

Thank you for the update, you both will be in my prayers. God will see you through this "bump in the road of life". It is amazing how one can be positive with God's love surrounding them. Keep looking to Him!

Tonja said...

Jean, I am so sorry to hear this news. And, so sorry that he has to go through this. But, God is amazing and powerful and always near. You know all that, as Dick does. But, I just want to agree with you that God has His hands all over Dick and He will be in control of the whole situation. Know that you and he will be in my prayers daily. I will pray for wisdom for the doctors treating him and strength for him as he goes through the treatment. Prayers, too, for you as you are the caregiver. I know just how hard that can be also. Blessings on you all!

Mari said...

I'm sorry he (and the rest of you) have to go through this again. I don't know how people handle things like this when they don't have the Lord in their life. What a blessing to have that peace that only He can give.
I'll be praying for all of you.

Joanne said...

Thank the good lord we have him to hold onto in our trials. I pray that the treaments will go well.

Mary Ellen said...

Thanks for the update. I will be praying for you both, and hope the treatments will be successful, and the side affects now too difficult.

sharon said...

Sending prayers and hugs!

Cherdecor said...

I am so sorry that the Lymphoma has become active again. We will cry out to the Lord for Dick and you as he begins the treatments. I know that weak feelings come, but I remember what you told me years ago. "God shows up best in weak people." That really helped me. God bless!

MaryAnnYutzy said...

Once again I wish there were a "DISLIKE" button for news such as this. Ah, Jeanie, I am just so sorry. I am encouraged, though, by the sense of peace that I sense all through this letter, by the trust that is firmly in place and that the two of you certainly know where to go with this sort of news. I have prayed for the two of you and will pray -- and may God continue to use the two of you in His Kingdom, for His Glory and for Jesus' sake. I often think of what I would do under this sort of circumstance, but seeing how other Christians walk courageously and faithfully in the darkest of times gives me so much hope and encourages me to follow carefully. May the Holy Spirit continually comfort you and cover you with peace.