Sunday, April 07, 2013

Benefit Barbecue Weekend

At the end of my last post I said we had another big weekend coming up, right?  Well I was right.  Partly because of this:

And partly because of this:

This was the weekend of the big annual egg hunt and barbecue sponsored by Houserville House of Hope and The MOGS Motorcycle Club, for the benefit of a baby with serious medical needs.  And Sam, Jenn, and Sammy were here for the weekend too.  

On Thursday afternoon, as I was teaching piano lessons at the church, the place was buzzing with activity.  Lots of people were there stuffing plastic eggs with candy - 12,000 plastic eggs!  Ladies were in the basement kitchen baking cookies, so it smelled heavenly all throughout the building.  I had a house to clean and laundry to finish, so I told the ladies in charge that I'd go home to get my stuff done that evening so I'd be able to help with more food prep on Friday.  I also had an important date at 7:00 with Sophie via FaceTime.

That's me sitting over there under the lamp watching her play her latest songs!!  I love technology!

Also that evening Dick had to go to a sleep center for the night.  He's undergoing some sleep apnea diagnostics.  He didn't sleep the best and probably didn't snore nearly as much as he does when he's beside me!!  Heavens, if I knew I was going to be observed while I'm sleeping, I'd never be able to go to sleep!!


On Friday afternoon and evening the House of Hope was again hopping with activity.  I grated more cheese than I ever did in my life for the awesome mac and cheese that Amy always makes.  (Of course the jokes were flying about me cutting the cheese.)  We chopped a LOT of onions, we made many pans of baked beans, we washed a lot of dishes, cooked pounds and pounds of macaronis for macaroni salad. 

And we had loads of fun in the process.  Yes, that's a guitar in the foreground of the picture.  The pastor's teenage son wowed us with the song he wrote as a book report for school.  How's that for entertainment while you work?

Outside Kevin assembled the very manly 8-burner grill that was purchased at Sam's Club in the morning.

Jeff broke the new grill in by making steaks to feed all us worker bees.

We all had a late dinner of steak, baked potatoes, and salad.  We were tired and a little cranky and a lot silly.  So much fun.

Dick and I got home just minutes before Sam, Jenn, and Sammy arrived.  As usual, Sam and Jenn went out for a while.  Dick went to bed, and Sammy and I played.  He was totally interested in Destiny's doll house!  Mostly he would put pieces of furniture on its roof and put the people in beds and chairs and on the toilet!  Here he discovered his face in the bathroom vanity mirror!





Eventually he got a bit weepy when he realized Mommy and Daddy weren't around, but a few good books were just what he needed.  He fell asleep as I read.  

On Saturday morning I had time to hang out with them before I had to leave.  I wish I'd taken more pictures, but he's always moving!  Here's the one I took of him trying to help Sam fill our water cooler jug.

When I got to the church it was time to transport the grills, the tables, the paper supplies, the drinks, and all the food to the Spring Creek Park down the street.  The weather forecast said it would reach 52 degrees, but it wasn't anywhere close to that at 10:00 am!   I had layers on, and I was still COLD.  When we were choosing what jobs we would do, I chose the one where I could stand right in front of the big grill.  They were afraid I'd catch on fire a few times, but at least I was a little bit warmer.  Here we are around 11:00 am, ready for business.  Dick was back on the other side of the grills where it was really warm.  They were making chicken, hot dogs, and burgers.

The first people were ready to eat at 11, and by 12 we were really hopping.  I think they counted over 600 people that came through the line!    All the while we worked there were live musicians in the pavilion behind us.  We just had to dance sometimes!  So that helped to warm us up.

Of course Sam, Jenn, and Sammy came.  So did Anthony, Lori, and Austin.  Both boys participated in the egg hunt, but I didn't have any chance to watch it or take pictures of it.




We loved this very gentle dog, especially Sammy who insisted on putting his head against its head like he does to their cats!  Thankfully the dog was very docile and forbearing!

After 4:00 the troops loaded everything up again for the trek back to the church.  There was still so much cleaning up and putting away to do, and everyone was beyond exhausted.

When Dick and I got home, Sam ordered stromboli from Pizza Mia, and it was delivered to our door.  PERFECT!  

When Sam and Jenn went out, Sammy was really tired.  He crawled up onto my lap right after they left and by the end of the third book he was sleeping.  I was too tired to move.  We just conked out together till they got home later. 

It's amazing what a night of sleep does for you.  All us weary workers were at church this morning and had a wonderful time praising the Lord together.  I know I've said it before, but we have such an excellent team of musicians.  It's an absolute joy to lead praise and worship with them.  There were some young people there for the first time because of the barbecue yesterday.  One of them is pregnant and will probably be able to benefit from the services of our Mommy Shoppe.  That's really cool.

After we got home from church Dick grilled sausages and turkey burgers.  Anthony, Lori, and Austin came too.  We had a wonderful afternoon all together.  Here are a few pics of the boys.




I love these guys so much.  Sam and Jenn left around 4:00, Lori and Anthony around 5:00, and we've been taking it EASY all evening! 

So many good memories in my heart tonight.

Now we're having a thunderstorm, of all things!!  (Didn't we just have 20 degrees a few mornings ago??)

2 comments:

Mari said...

What a wonderful weekend! You're making me hungry talking about all that food. Loved the pictures of Sammy and Austin. Alaina does the same thing as Sammy - laying her head against Oliver.
I love how you use Skype to teach Sophie. :)

Doris said...

All that food sounds sooooo good! The pictures of the little boys are so adorable! Family time is so special and I'm glad you had some of it this week end.

Excited to see the warm weather this week. I think I will head to the park with Aidan and Zoe today.