In the back of my mind all week was the hope that we'd get to see Sam, Jenn, and Sammy this weekend. I had told them we'd come down to see them one day, unless they wanted to come up here for the weekend. With that in mind, I washed guest room sheets and cleaned and organized a lot of things I haven't bothered to do since Christmas.
So you know I was elated when I got Sam's text message that they'd be getting here Friday evening. I was so afraid Sammy would have forgotten who we are, but Sam said not to worry - they talk about us all the time.
He certainly had no trouble making himself at home when they arrived, finding my kitchen cupboards, the toy cupboard, and the piano. I loved watching Jenn and Sammy playing telephone. In this cell phone age, he still knows what to do with that old toy, haha!
After a while Sam and Jenn went out on a date, and in a short time Sammy crawled up onto the sofa beside me and fell asleep. He's so easy.
On Saturday morning Dick had to work till noon. The rest of us hung out around the house. Well, that's not quite true. Energetic Jenn RAN about four miles on our country hills in 27 degree weather!! She is absolutely amazing.
Sammy entertained us one way or another!
Now THIS in entertainment, folks!
He had a great time taking half the things out of my pantry cupboard. But the funniest part of all was when he put them back in. Really, he did - every single thing. Not the way I had them, but one way or another, he got everything shoved back in there!
When Dick got home from work we went to Chik-Fil-A for lunch so Sammy would have an indoor place to play. He wasn't as thrilled with the play area as we thought he might be. He was much more interested in walking around the restaurant and waving at people. He is totally a people person!
When we left Chik-Fil-A we drove all over the place, looking at the huge frat houses in State College, the unique European looking architecture of many homes, the huge Penn State campus, the extreme hills in Bellefonte.
Back at home, more napping, playing, eating grilled cheese with my homemade cream of tomato soup.
"Help, I have fallen and I can't get up!" Not!
Sam and Jenn went to a movie in the evening. Unfortunately, Sammy had started showing signs of not feeling well late in the afternoon - runny nose, a tearing eye, pulling at his ear occasionally. He was a bit weepier when they left that time, but then played a little while and eventually fell asleep. But it was a more restless sleep. And he did not have a good night for them. Bless their hearts - he just got over a stomach flu. They have to take turns missing work when he's sick. Can any parents of young children relate? And I know we grandmas remember when our little ones were sick and grouchy with one thing or another without much of a break in between. Not an easy time at all.
This morning I was surprised to see snowflakes swirling all around, and even more surprised to see the sun trying to shine through. It was like they were having a tug-of-war.
I had dinner ready in the oven when we got home from church, and by around 2:00 they were packed up and ready to leave. Sammy desperately wanted to help carry bags out to the car! I think he was afraid they were going to leave without him again. He loves his mommy and daddy. But he DOES for sure know who we are, and he says something that means and sounds somewhat like "Grandma". That's good enough for me!
2 comments:
What a fun weekend! Our babies are getting so big - not so much babies anymore. Glad you got to enjoy the time with them.
Sammy is a delight! So glad you got to spend time with him...and his parents too!
What a busy week you had. Hope this week is less intense.
Post a Comment