Sunday, January 22, 2012

Beaver Stadium, a visit with Destiny and Sammy

After church today, we left for a little trip to see Destiny and Sammy.  As we drove we soon learned that Joe Paterno had died earlier this morning from complications of his lung cancer.  I never met him in person, and I know there have been varied opinions about and feelings toward him in the past two months, but there was much to admire and plenty to feel very sad about.  My heart aches for his precious wife and how her life has turned upside down in these months.  As we drove home this evening and approached State College, we noticed that the sky was very lit up.  Before long we saw what we had guessed it would be - Beaver Stadium lit up tonight.  It was an incredible sight.  With the low clouds, the bright lights, and the snow, it truly seemed almost like daylight.

Now, back to our little trip.  We ate a packed lunch as we drove first of all to Destiny's house in Reading.  I had brought them some donuts and some baked corn, which Destiny's mom has been saying she's hungry for.  Here's Destiny and her brother demonstrating how you eat a donut and baked corn at the same time.


Then it was time for a visit with Sammy.  As we had been driving I had seen this picture that Jenn had posted on FB.  Her caption was "Ready to watch football."   So cute!!!

He had just woken up when we got there and was ready for me to give him a bottle and then play and sing and talk.  He even had a big poop while he was on my lap which called for a new diaper and a clean shirt!  But he was so happy without it!

When we were playing on the floor, guess what he kept trying to do?  Watch football!!!! Does Sam have him trained already, or what???

We had some yummy Chinese take-out while we were there.  Eventually Sammy went to sleep in my arms.  We were feeling a bit uneasy about the freezing rain in the forecast, so we left at 7.  But there was almost no precipitation on the way home, and we were able to listen to the Giants vs 49'ers game almost the whole way.

A good day.

3 comments:

Mari said...

You had a nice weekend! It's always good to see those grandkids.
Look at Sammy sitting up - he's getting so big!

Barb said...

That certainly does sound like a good day! Is it possible for little Sammy to get any more adorable? I never get tired of seeing his cute face.
What a beautiful site to see the stadium all lit up!
Baked corn and donuts- both sound good to me! What a treat!

Doris said...

Neat week-end! Sammy is soooo cute! I thought of you yesterday while I snuggled Brinley.

So glad you made it home safely. I guess it didn't get icy around here....no schools had delays. Ellen doesn't have school today anyway - an in-service day.