As I said in my last post, I've been having fun sewing this week. Well, most of the time it was fun. At one point my sewing machine seemed to have become possessed by the devil. I don't know if I accidentally bumped a setting, or what, but it took me a couple of hours, a careful reading of the manual, trying several different threads, different tension settings for both the bobbin and the top spool, and LOTS of frustration, a few, "GOD!! I need help"s, and, I admit, two good punches with my fist on the machine itself, till I got it back into good working order. Ahhhhh. There is nothing like a sewing machine that runs smoothly and makes nice, even stitches above and below.
When I got the panels for my sliding glass door, I bought two extra ones. Out of those I made a swag valance for my dining room window and runners for my furniture. I almost hesitate to show pictures, because I know most people are much more into interior decorating than I am. My style is whatever I can find at Goodwill, on Craigstlist, yard sales, etc. I stopped looking at magazines long ago, because they made me feel discontent, and I never watch the TV shows about decorating. So I am NOT up on this stuff - just sayin'.
Here's the little cover I made for my end tables.
The runner on top of my entertainment center. I gave it a soft focus, because I noticed that the mirror (which I found at Pete's Used Furniture the other week) has Austin's finger prints all over it, haha!! No, Austin was not up there. The mirror sat on the floor a week or so before Dick hung it.
The runner on top of my cedar chest, which sits behind the sofa.
The runner on top of the chest of drawers, which now sits in my dining room.
I was hoping to make place mats, but there was only enough fabric left to make three. So I just quickly used a long, narrow piece to make a little runner for the table Lori thinks I have enough stripes now and should get solid place mats. So I'll see. I like things to be all matchy-matchy. Oh, yes, this picture shows the swag valance I made for the window.
Now I need new dishes. Mine are blue. Boy, one change just leads to another.
So this is Thanksgiving Day. I really do have LOTS to be thankful for. It occurred to me that the past two Novembers I made a Thanksgiving list that I added to daily. I forgot to start it this year. Maybe this evening I'll take time to write down all thirty things at once. It will not be hard.
I was feeling sad yesterday that things did not work out for us to have a bunch of our kids here all at once like we did last year, but then I found out that Ray and Thyda will be coming tomorrow and will bring Destiny along up, and that cheered me up. Ray called last evening asking if I'm going to have turkey on Friday evening. They had just arrived at Thyda's home and he found out there would be no turkey there (I'm sure they will be having many wonderful Cambodian dishes.) So I got my orders, haha!!
Later today we'll go to Anthony and Lori's. She's having some of her single mom friends over, and they'll do the cooking. Sounds like we may be in for some good southern food.
4 comments:
its beautiful, I can"t wait until I can decorate once again. I hope you and your family have a wonderful and blessed thanksgiving
Happy Thanksgiving to you! It's hard when you can't see all the kids, but I'm glad you are seeing some of them.
You and I have very similar taste. First it was the couch, now I have to tell you that I made curtains of very similar material for my dining room. Your sewing projects turned out really nice!
It looks very nice, Sis! While many designers may not prefer the matchy matchy look, I believe that a good designer should work according to the taste of the client....so the designer (you) and the client (you) did good =)
I bet you will have a wonderful dinner tonight. Enjoy!
Great job Jean. I believe we all should decorate our home in the way that makes us feel good. My Mom likes matchy-matchy too. I like to mix and match ;-)
Hugs,
Kat
Post a Comment