Monday, March 28, 2011

Sadness and joy all in a weekend

On Friday evening we drove to Dick's parents' house in Lancaster County.  We learned that Dad Stauffer had had a hard day in the hospital.  He felt so weak and horrible he didn't want any visitors and expressed a number of times that he wasn't sure it was worth it to have had the surgery.  

On Saturday morning Dick and I went to a local country store and took our good old time getting to the hospital.  When we arrived we found out that Dad had been moved back to the ICU because his oxygen level had gotten too low.  They had found and removed some kind of particle from one of his lungs, after which the oxygen level returned to normal.  He had been heavily sedated for the procedure and slept the entire time we were there.  I regretted that we hadn't gotten to the hospital earlier so we could have been with Dick's stepmother (Arlene) while they were doing the procedure.  She was scared and all by herself.  By the time we arrived she was okay because of the outcome.  

Later in the afternoon we drove to Stevens, PA (also in Lancaster County) to the house that Sam and Jenn were moving into that day.  We got to meet Jenn's parents and sister for the first time.  Frank and Darla, who live just a few miles away in Ephrata, also came to help.  In an hour or so the entire truck was unloaded and we had fun in the process.  Here are some pictures of the house (a duplex on a culdesac) - quite a step up from Sam's tiny third floor apartment in Downingtown.  




From there we went to my stepmother's house for a mini family gathering.  Just Grandma Mary, my sister Mary Ellen, my sister Doris and her husband, daughter Ellen, and two of her grandchildren.   And Dick and I.  But we had a good time and plenty of delicious food. Mary showed us her many pictures of the six weeks she spent in Florida this winter. 


Another sister picture.  This time we didn't have to do the self timer thing!

On Sunday morning we did something we probably never did before.  We went to Grace Community Fellowship, our home church for the past 24 years, and did not have ANY responsibility for anything.  We were warmly received after having been away for eight weeks, and it was just wonderful to see and talk with everyone.  But the best part of all was being led in worship by my former team members and their new leader, Herb.  I was able to truly worship, no distractions, just feelings of tremendous thanksgiving to the Lord for how He has led and provided.  To top it off, the special song was done by Karlee, a former student of mine and very, very dear to my heart.  

Afterward we went to a local restaurant for lunch with some friends from church.  When I walked to our table I was overjoyed to see, at the next table, another former student, Megan, and her family.  I had not seen her since our last MCDS Worship Team program almost two years ago.  We hugged and hugged and cried.  And Karlee and her family were sitting at another table.  Karlee and Megan hadn't seen each other since that last worship team program either, because they go to different high schools.   I just want to totally kick myself that I did not think of taking a picture with those two precious girls.  After everyone else had left I thought of my camera and at least got a picture of our table, friends Barry and Lois, Diane, and Jane. 

From there we went to the hospital.  Dad was out on a chair, but napping most of the time we were there.  We were told that he has an infection in his lung from the particle they had removed and that he will most likely be in the hospital this entire week.  That was extremely discouraging news for Arlene.  She is such a trooper and it takes a lot to get her down.  But she was down and Dad was even further down.  

This morning Dick's brother told us of another possible complication, but we have not had any news since.  It is so hard to be this far away. (We drove back home to State College last evening.) 
 I took this picture and have given it a soft focus in order to respect Dad.  I just want you to get an idea how day after long day Arlene sits by his side.  This is love in its truest sense.   

Lord, hear our cry for healing and encouragement!

6 comments:

Mari said...

Sorry to hear Dicks Dad is having such a hard time. Praying for all, but especially for him and Arlene.
Glad the rest of the weekend was good!

Barb said...

I know how hard it is to be far from family at a time like this.Our prayers continue for all of you. I'm so glad you had other very positive activities in your weekend.

Tonja said...

How blessed you are to have such a big and wonderful family! Family that includes church friends and school friends, and friend friends as well as family. So many to love and be loved by! So sorry Grandpa is in such pain. And, I know the agony of the caregiver as they wait and watch....ready to do anything, but mostly just being there! My prayers are with you all, Jean. God is so good! Blessings to all!

Cherdecor said...

I pray that the Lord will give peace during this trial to your in laws.

I know so many people at this time going through similar hard illnesses. When I awaken in the middle of the night, I know that it is my time to lift them up before the Lord because I believe that God works the night shift. When people are sick, the nights can be so long and lonely. I pray for peace and healing for your dear in laws.

krista said...

That last picture made me cry...oh how my heart hurts for Grandpa and Grandma. Praying and believing that God is in control...no matter how great our sorrow.

Justabeachkat said...

Praying for Dick's father, you and Dick and the entire family.

Hugs,
Kat