Thursday, March 24, 2011

Daffodils - a mixed pleasure

When the weather is as dreary and cold as it is this week, these beautiful daffodils give my spirit a lift.  I bought them to support the American Cancer Society's Daffodil Days fundraiser in honor of my niece Lori Peifer, who continues to courageously fight colon cancer.  I just wish I wasn't bothered so much by the smell of these daffodils.  I seriously can hardly stand them and am about ready to put them out on the porch.  But they're so bright and cheerful and I want to be able to look at them.  

Dick's dad's heart valve surgery was successfully done yesterday.  The surgeon was pleased with how it went and how well Dad did during the surgery.  We have not heard how his night was, but as of last evening they expected that they would already be getting him out of bed for a walk by noon today!  Thank you, Lord!

3 comments:

Mari said...

I love the cheery look of daffodils and can't say I've noticed a smell from them. Maybe Michigan daffodils smell different than PA ones? :)
Glad to hear such a good report on Dick's Dad.

Doris said...

The daffodils from AMS are larger and I lhink have a stronger fragrance. I never noticed it before I bought a bunch one year and put them in my windowless office! I do love them, though.

Glad Dick's Dad came through the surgery ok!

Cherdecor said...

Finally, I am popping in to see what is going on in your life. WOW!
glad that Dick's dad came through his ordeal with flying colors. He looks like a healthy young man.

I can't say that I even noticed a smell from the daffodils from our gardens. As Doris said, it may be because the ones you bought are a larger variety. (Remember to not buy any more paperwhites! Talk about disgusting odors!)