Friday, February 04, 2011

Stories from my week

I forgot to post some cute pictures I took on Tuesday evening.  Because of the craziness of the weather I did not keep Austin that day, so instead, that evening Dick and I babysat him while Anthony and Lori went to a movie.  I know I've said it so many times before, but Austin is just crazy over his Pawpaw.  When we got to the door, he basically ignored me and clamored for Pawpaw.  I guess I'm just too everyday, hahahaha!!

I gave him his bath, after which I wrapped him in his "towel".  He took off out of the bathroom looking for Pawpaw.  Is this adorable or what?  (Sorry, I took it with my cell phone in a dimly lit room.)

After his bath it was time for his breathing treatment, so he sat on Pawpaw's lap.  Melt my heart!

 And what were they watching so intently?  A baby Einstein video that teaches about the different families of instruments in the orchestra.   So he should have a head start on that when he gets to music class!!


So I said the other night that I was going for a free hair appointment Thursday morning.  Just as I was getting ready to walk out the door that morning, I heard on the news that roads would be blocked off at certain times of the day for Obama's entrance from the State College airport to the Penn State campus, and then back again.   Most of them were roads I use to go to Austin's daycare and also to go downtown. Oh boy, I wondered how this was all going to work out!  

I got to the Empire Beauty School downtown with no problem.  Got there right on time for my 9:00 appointment.  As I signed in I looked around at the students working and spotted an adorable girl that I hoped was the one I had emailed back and forth with.  She was!  I asked her right away,  "Now, I will be finished by 11:00, right?  Because I have to pick up my grandson at 11:15 from daycare, and I don't know what the situation will be with the roads with the president arriving."    She assured me there would be no problem.

She was the sweetest thing, but very, very new.  Her instructor actually did a whole lot of helping her.  I felt like a guinea pig!  And there was indeed a problem getting done by 11:00!  I felt sorry for her after her instructor went on to help others and she was trying to finish me up, very aware of the time, but also not quite sure if she was doing it right.  The instructor finally came and helped her to finish, but there wasn't time left to do any styling after the trim.  I finally left at 11:10!  I called the daycare right away to tell them I'd be late, and they told me that the roads around them were starting to be blocked off.  I thought I knew a back way to get to them, but alas, even that was blocked!  

I drove up to a policeman that was blocking with his car and told him I need to get to the daycare for my grandson.  He told me he was sorry, but they were instructed to block everything, and the motorcade would soon be going by, and I'd be able to get through in about 15 minutes.  

So I sat there in full view of the road from the airport.  WHY, oh WHY did I not think of getting my camera out of my purse???   After a while I watched the motorcade go by, as close to a US president as I'll ever be, and I have no picture to prove it!  Rats!!

So anyway, here's what I look like after the free hair job.  It's shorter than I ever had it, but that just means less time to take care of it.   I think I'll go back to them.  Their prices for regular appointments are really a lot less than other places.  They gotta learn on somebody, right?
I'm feeling better than I did the past two evenings.  My right ear opened up this afternoon and my throat and sinuses have settled down too.  I surely hope I'm on the way to kicking this thing for good.  

Does anybody remember what warm weather feels like???  The smell of Spring??  The color green???  I'm trying to imagine....

5 comments:

Mari said...

I think Austin already has a head start on that music thing; look at the family he has!
The haircut turned out good!
I'm thinking green and trying to remember what spring feels like but all I can smell is that cold winter smell.

Joanne said...

Hair looks good. yes and Im tired of being cold and paying the high electric bill. Austin is so adorble. Jereimiah calls me grandma now. I love it.

Tonja said...

Jean, your hair looks great! That cut is so stylish! And SASSY! And, I think that relationship between Dick and Austin is so special! That pic of them watching TV is precious! You can tell already that there's is going to be a very special bond.

Doris said...

Ahh, sweet pic of Austin and his PawPaw!

I bet it feels strange when you wash your hair! I always do a 'that's weird' after I get a shorter cut....so much less to wash!

I long for some green.....ice and snow, I HAVE HAD ENOUGH, aleady!!

Cherdecor said...

I LOVE YOUR HAIRCUT! You have such a cute face that you can wear it anyway you want! It will be so easy to take care of.

The picture of Pawpaw and Austin is a such a cute picture! I love it!

I need to do a post on FB about spring for you.