Saturday, January 01, 2011

State College First Night Celebration

Good morning, 2011!!  I just wrote the date for the first time and I thought it was cool - 1/1/11. 

Here are some pictures from the First Night events in downtown State College.  I don't have ice sculpture pictures this year.  They weren't quite as impressive as other years, maybe because of the above-freezing temps.  We tried to take in a few other events and shows, but  some things were already full when we got there, or almost over, or it just took too long to coordinate all the needs for food, drink, potty, buttons for entrance into events, directions to the events, keeping track of the kids, etc.  

We watched a puppet procession,




we spent a lot of time watching and learning all about the reindeer, 

we drank water and  hot chocolate, ate delicious kettle corn made in enormous vats,

we stopped in to watch the end of a reader theater show in a church basement, then rested a while as we listened to a bluegrass group in the sanctuary (trust me - this picture is deceiving.  These three kids, Lori's nephew William, Austin, and Destiny, were not little angels all evening, hahahahaha!)

the kids played in the park where some of the festivities were held, and then, after waiting in a long line, they went down this awesome ice sliding board.

Dick had finally joined us by this time and took care of Austin while Lori and I waited with the other two at the ice slide.  When they were finished with that, Lori was more than ready to take William home and then to take Austin home to bed.  

Dick and Destiny and I went to watch Anthony's gig, held at the same church his previous band played at three years ago on New Year's Eve.  I was sleepy, and my contacts were so dry they were threatening to pop right out of my eyes, but I'm still glad we went.  I know I'm his mom and most likely biased, but let me tell you, Anthony's guitar playing is phenomenal.  He puts more "soul" into a song than I ever knew was possible.  The song that most featured his solo work was Stevie Ray Vaughan's Texas Flood, and his playing was so incredible people clapped in the middle of the song.  Okay, now I'll stop before I make you sick, haha!


2 comments:

Mari said...

Looks like it was fun! I agree with you on Anthonys playing - he is great! You should have posted a video, so we could hear it.
Happy New Year!

Cherdecor said...

What an interesting NYE! You have a right to brag on Anthony's playing! He is incredible! He plays music that doesn't seem possible. I love listening to him on his site. I would love to hear him in person, because even in video, you don't get all the sound.

Happy New Year, my friend!