Friday, January 28, 2011

Simple pleasures

Tonight we're sleeping in Lancaster County at Dick's parents' house. This is a big weekend, and I have much to ponder in my heart.

This week I ate out for breakfast twice. On Wednesday morning Lori and I went to a fund raiser breakfast for A Woman's Concern, the local Christian pregnancy center. I was very moved by the wonderful way they help girls to consider other options than abortion. A beautiful girl, a student of Lori's, gave her testimony, and had her adorable little son with her.

Thursday morning I had a most wonderful time at The Waffle Shop with Sherilyn Jameson, the leader of the Bible study Lori and I go to. Our hearts are so united on so many things, and we shared laughter and tears as we talked.

Today I discovered that Austin recognizes the number 8 when we were playing with his clock. And yesterday when he was refusing to obey me I started counting, "One, two, three." And he said, "Four." I'm telling you, every day with him there is something new.

Yesterday he was having so much fun rearranging the few things in my dishwasher. He was trying to put the silverware up in the top. Some of them stayed, but when too many of them fell through he got mad and threw a few pieces across the kitchen. Yes, he has a temper!




Today I allowed him to play with glass. Can you believe it? But I was watching carefully. I have an arrangement of little candles surrounded by stones on the coffee table. He had the best time putting the stones inside the candle holders, then carrying them one by one from the coffee table to the entertainment center, then back again for a few more stones, then back to the entertainment center, and on and on, back and forth. Such a simple pleasure.




5 comments:

Doris said...

Looking forward to being with you and Mary Ellen this afternoon. See ya soon!

Cherdecor said...

Praying for you this weekend!

Justabeachkat said...

I can "hear" the happy in your words.

Hugs,
Kat

Tonja said...

There is no telling what he will be able to do by the time he's 3! He's so fortunate to be with you. You have the time and patience to let him explore new things. It really makes a difference!

Barb said...

I love hearing about Austin since Jarrett is at the same stage of discovering and expressing. I think the best part is how happy Jarrett is to see his Nana. I'm sure you can identify.