Saturday, January 08, 2011

Grandma Arlene

I realized when I wrote the date this morning that today was Dick's step mother's birthday. Since I wrote about his mother a few days ago, what better time than on her birthday to introduce you to his step mother?


After I wrote that post a few days ago, I received a beautiful FB message from Mary Martin who used to work with Ruth in the kitchen at Mount Hope Home. That was Ruth's part-time job when she found out she had cancer. She continued to work as long as she was able to, because she had such great co-workers and they had so much fun together. Mary, who wrote to me this week, said that she remembers Ruth telling her that she hopes after she's no longer here, Dad would find a good person to take care of him.


Dad did find a good person. He found Arlene. But before they became husband and wife, their commitment to each other was severely tested. Dad was in a severe motorcycle accident. The majority of their courtship was during Dad's recovery. There were times we were not sure he would be walking by their wedding day, but as you can see here, he was!
Arlene was fifty years old at the time. She had never married before, but was a favorite aunt to her many nieces and nephews. It seemed like she just slid right into her role as wife, mom, and grandma, in addition to her full-time bookkeeping job, without skipping a beat. Maybe she doesn't remember it quite like that, but that's how it felt to us.
For years she has made an effort to do special things with the grandchildren on their birthdays. I remember one time she took all us daughter-in-laws to Willow Valley Resort for an overnight. She still hosts the whole big family at least once a year in their big, long basement. She and Dad still go camping with the whole family - honest-to-goodness camping.

I called her today, and she exclaimed over being 79. She said, "It's just so close to 80, I can't believe it!" Neither can we, Arlene! You don't seem anywhere close to 80. You're just too young at heart. We love you, and we thank you for taking on and loving our whole big family when you married Dad!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Mari said...

My Dad and stepmom are the same age. We too have been blessed by having a wonderful stepmom so I know how you feel about Arlene. She's a special lady!

Tonja said...

What a remarkable woman. Coming into the family as she did, she could have wanted to have a private relationship with her new husband. But, wisely, she knew that by accepting the whole family, she would gain greater rewards than she could ever imagine. How blessed the family was when she came to be a part of it. Thanks for sharing her story.

Justabeachkat said...

What a sweet post Jean. You really are blessed with family...your side and Dick's.

Hugs,
Kat