Sunday, January 23, 2011

Baby shower, dealing with change

After church this morning the choir members were invited to Judy, our choir director's lovely home.  The real purpose was for a baby shower for Emily and George.

They are expecting their first baby, a girl, whom they will name Evelyn after one of their grandmothers.
 

However, they thought they were coming to Judy's house for a birthday party for Helen, who will be turning 95 tomorrow!!  Can you believe it?  She's pictured here with her daughter Peg.  If I live to be 95, I hope I look this good!

 First we had a delicious brunch.  Our church service is from 8:15 to 9:30, so it really was brunch!


 Judy's house is such a perfect place for hosting people.  There was a dining room and a sun room with tables that I did not even get a picture of. 

The rest of these are shots of people that I took while George and Emily were opening their gifts.



I really am enjoying learning to know all these new friends.  At the same time I constantly struggle with a keen sense of loss.  I think I am more aware of it because we haven't been to Lancaster County for three weekends in a row.  Our home church in Manheim has at last had answered prayer in their search for a Minister of Music to take my position.  Herb Suereth, a very capable and experienced musician and worship leader, will begin his role at the church February 1st.  This has been the goal all along since we moved.  But I would be lying if I said I'm not struggling with it.  Our roots there are very, very deep.  And I LOVE leading people into the presence of the Lord through praise and worship.  I'll be leading worship there this coming Sunday, and I'm trying hard not to think too much about the fact that it will be my last time.  We were invited to come there as worship leaders in the fall of 1986 and started the first Sunday of January 1987.  Twenty-four years.  

I believe God has other opportunities in store for my ministry.  I am waiting on Him. 

8 comments:

Mari said...

Sounds like a fun time, and what a nice surprise for George and Emily. Yes - Helen looks amazing at 95!
I can understand how hard next week will be. I think it will be hard for the church members too. You have all been a big part of each others lives for a long time. I'll be praying for you.

Brb said...

I'm glad you are making new friends and I admire you for being willing to move to a new area. I have no doubt that the Lord will find a place for you to use your talents again. You are very gifted and you have been a tremendous asset to the church in Manheim. I will pray that next Sunday can be a blessing to you and the congregation.

Barb said...

Wow, I see I can't even spell my name. By the way Jeanie, that is a really good picture of you!

Jean said...

Judy's husband was taking lots of pictures. At one point people were asking, "Where did Frank go?" I thought, "Good grief, can't the man go to the bathroom in his own house without everyone wondering where he went?"

Later I saw him handing pictures to people. Then he handed this one to me. Apparently he has his own photo printer, and while he was missing he was printing out the pictures he had taken!

Cherdecor said...

You will laugh when I tell you this, but this morning I was so lamenting that you and Dick were not along with us as we visited these two struggling churches. The first one asked me if I played the piano because their pianist left. Tonight's church had a pianist but I probably could have played better. JK!

I remembered how well you play and sing and thought about how you could have been used today.

I tell you what!?!?! Find a church up there around State College where Alan can pastor and you and Dick can be the worship leaders! How does that sound???

Anonymous said...

Just so you know - you are missed here in Manheim. I often think how hard it must be for you to have moved but I admire you for doing that. I never grew up in one area so I don't have "roots" this is actually the longest area I have ever lived and it would be hard to leave. You are a good example of a supportive, loving wife. I know you miss your church but I want you to know my kids tell me often how much they miss you at school too. I think Cheryl had a good idea with the church :)

April L.

Tonja said...

Jean, so sorry you are feeling this way. I understand. When I went to school and saw the first program that they had without me...it was almost more than I could bear.
I think our feelings are all ties up with aging and retirement and who knows what else.
And, I can't even tell you anything to make you feel better...cause it still bothers me and hurts down deep. But, this was MY decision...I made it and no one did it for me. So, I'll just say, "I understand."

Barb said...

Thanks for explaining who the good photographer was who took your picture. How nice of him!