This was a really special day. After being away all weekend, my first order of business was to unpack and clean up. But I also had a lunch to prepare for some very special guests - my sister Doris and her daughter Kim.
Doris worked for many years as Activity Director in the dementia unit at Pleasant View Retirement Community. Since leaving the job this past spring she has enjoyed her new life without a full time job. But she has a wealth of knowledge and understanding and passion for people with dementia. Lori invited her to come today to talk to the students and faculty in Lori's department's weekly colloquium.
Lori had arranged for me to be able to take Austin back to the daycare after his lunch and nap so I would be able to come along with Doris to her presentation. I'm so glad I could! Doris did such a fantastic job of speaking and sharing. Occasionally I would glance across the room at all the students, and I never saw one of them looking bored.
When it was over I looked at Kim and said, "Well, are you proud of your mom? I know I'm proud of my sister!" Of course she was! There were even students that came up to Doris afterward to ask her questions.
It was almost 5:00 when we left the campus, and it was starting to rain, so they decided to head right back to Lancaster County. Our time together was way too short, but oh so sweet!
6 comments:
I would love to hear her speak! What a good idea for Lori to take advantage of her knowledge.
Thank you for sharing the pics. I know it was a great opportunity to hear your sister speak and I know you cherished the time spent with she and Lori. So nice to meet you thru her blog!
I was at the presentation and i enjoyed it so much. Sometimes we get so caught up with research that we forget the person behind the numbers and all the fancy lab stuff we do! You're blessed to have her as your sister. Only few people can do this kind of job.
God bless her! Anonymous was right, only a few people can do that kind of job. I didn't know she had retired.
BTW, I love the blouse Doris is wearing in the top picture!
So special to read about Doris' presentation. She is a wonderful teacher. So glad she had this opportunity. I'm proud too to be her sister and to see Doris more refreshed from not having that demanding job @ PV. I love Blogging - I'm here in CA and can still feel close. MEW
How wonderful that you had a chance to hear her speak. I bet you learned some things about your sister you didn't know. God chooses special people to work with special people.
Post a Comment