Dick and I made the trip Friday evening, picking Destiny up in Reading first, then on to Dick's parents' house for the night. They were already sleeping when we got there, but we "sneaked" in quietly and were in our beds by 10:30.
We hung out at their house Saturday morning, then headed out for a day of special activities to celebrate Destiny's 10th birthday (which will be tomorrow, the 14th).
First we picked up her brother, Frank's son J'von, in Lancaster and took them roller skating.
I'm not sure if J'von had ever roller skated before, so he was falling a lot. Soon they opted for game.
He did keep working at it and was doing a lot better before we left. Destiny had fun doing the Limbo. Here's a really short video of her last round.
When we left the roller rink we told them we would go somewhere to eat. Where would they like to go? Can you guess? Without any consideration it was a unanimous "McDonalds!!" So we went to the one near the mall that has a great indoor playground.
J'von enjoyed this basketball challenge and did quite well. Do we have a future basketball player here?
Our evening activity was really special. Frank's football team, Lancaster Lightnings, had the rare opportunity to play a game at the Clipper Stadium in Lancaster. Their games are usually held at high school football fields. Because it was 9/11 there was a special military ceremony during the National Anthem. It was very emotional to listen and watch and remember.
As if that wasn't emotional enough, I then noticed that Frank and some of his teammates were wearing pink stockings in honor of Cancer Awareness Night. I knew Frank did that because of Dick's ongoing fight against lymphoma for the past 14 years, and it touched my heart.
The team's fight against the Pittsburgh Colts seemed like a losing battle for most of three quarters, but then their luck turned, and they ended up winning by one point! I was hoping to show the score, but my camera did not pick it up from that distance. (Notice Destiny in the foreground pointing to the end scoreboard!)
Destiny remembers the last time his team played in the Clipper Stadium five years ago, and they won. She's sure her presence brings his team good luck, hahahaha!
Here the kids are with Frank after the game, sporting the Lancaster Lightning caps I got for them.
Unfortunately, I also just spent a long time writing about our very interesting Sunday, but blogger has failed me big time and lost it into cyberspace. I do not have time to rewrite it this morning, so later.....
3 comments:
so sorry about the lost post....I hope you will have time to re-write sometime.....cause I want to read it!!
Happy Birthday to Destiny! I love the picture of Frank and the kids. Glad you all had such a good time, and won too!
What a birthday celebration! The picture of Frank and his two is really good. You and Dick are photogenic too! Isn't there a little turn around button you can push?
Post a Comment