Monday, March 15, 2010

Another working weekend

On Friday after Dick got off work, we left for Lancaster County.  We drove in heavy rain most of the way, but were thankful it wasn't snow.  Of course we went to Reading first for Destiny.  As soon as we got to the house she headed to her favorite chair and was sound asleep, as snug as a bug in a rug.  She probably would have slept there all night if I had let her.

On Saturday the rain poured and the winds blew.  Dick still managed to load up some timbers that were behind the shed and take them to Jay Nissley's for firewood.  We had an appointment with a guy from whom we ordered several replacement windows.  Dick did some other repairs.  Frank and Mari came and picked up Destiny for the evening and night.

And what was I doing all this time????  Oh my.  I was in my office going through boxes of stuff I had brought home from my classroom, as well as the bookshelves.  I had several shelves of music, most of it totally unused in the almost-five years since we moved to that house.  Unused, even though I was a music teacher and a worship leader the entire time I lived there.  So what are the chances I will ever again use any of that music?  Probably nil.  So I threw a lot of it into garbage bags.  I boxed up books for the Mennonite Historical Society's book frolic, including my Matthew Henry commentaries and my Strong's Concordance, all of which are now online.  I went through the bag of files I had gotten from my sister Janet's office, including her humor file, which sent me into gales of laughter just when Dick had sat down for a 30-minute nap.   

SO, my office now contains garbage bags of stuff for the refuse authority, as well as a very old desk in poor condition headed for the same place; garbage bags of Destiny's outgrown clothes ready to be taken to Salvation Army; boxes of things I want to keep at our storage unit, a box of books for the book frolic.  And this is what it looked like as I was working.

Sunday morning we went to our church, and it was so good to be there.  I introduced the song Healer during worship.  I heard it on the radio a few weeks ago, and it really touched my heart.  I hope you have time to listen to it.

We also had a children's drama (that I was NOT in charge of, thank you, Diane!)  There was also a very special time of prayer for some very great needs, and there was a fellowship meal afterward.  So many good things in one morning.  And best of all, during the meal, was having some of my dearest women friends take the time to let me pour out my heart as they listened to me with all of their hearts.   

In the afternoon Frank and Mari brought Destiny back to our place.  They had his son J'von and her son Jovanni along and they all stayed for quite a while. 

After they left I finally took a nap while Dick and Destiny played games. Then we took her home to Reading, came back and cleaned the place up as best we could, and hit the sack.  And early this morning, again in pouring rain,  we made the trip back to our home in State College. 

I tried to get a picture of Lori playing with Austin before she left for work, because she looked so pretty.  Austin looks like a blur, but they were having fun!

At lunch today Austin was playing shadow tag again.  It started when he noticed the shadow of his hand on the tray.

He caught it!

 Uh-oh!  Where did it go?

Ahhh, here it comes again!


Such an inexpensive toy, hahahaha!


I almost forgot to give an update on my foot.  I was quite discouraged Friday evening and Saturday with the seeming ineffectiveness of the cortisone shot.  But yesterday and today I think I can definitely tell a difference.  I'm trying to remember to do exercises that pull my toes forward, to use ice, and to take ibuprofen.  I really do want to be able to walk that baby when we get some nicer days this week.

5 comments:

Mari said...

I'm so glad that your foot is doing better. Hope it keeps up!
You were so busy - that was a lot of sorting and cleaning.

Barb said...

You did have a busy weekend and it sounds like you accomplished a lot of things in a short amount of time.
That song "Healer" was very special to John's sister Nancy during her illness. It brings tears whenever I hear it.

Mary Ellen said...

It looks like you work a lot faster than me. I keep trying to get rid of stuff, but I have a hard time getting a good block of time to keep at it. Glad your foot is better.

Justabeachkat said...

So glad your foot is feeling better!

Wow, you really did accomplish a lot.

Cute photos.

Hugs!
Kat

Cherdecor said...

Salvation Army called me yesterday and said that they needed clothes and small appliances and even furniture. I need to sort through my bins of clothes again this year and give them more stuff.

You really got a lot done this past weekend inspite of the foot pain and all that rain.

As soon as I can, I will listen to the video. Right now I need to call Mary Ellen. Our van is growling like a lion. I know that the Witmer Bros. will cage this beast.

Have a happy day!