Thursday, February 18, 2010

Still learning

I guess you're never too old to learn new things.  I've always thought I was fairly health conscious in my cooking, but as a "team" here in our multi-generational family, we are purposing to be even more health conscious.  So I've been trying out new recipes for the first time in years.  Some get a thumbs up, but others, like the turkey meat balls seasoned with cinnamon, I probably won't be making again.  Today I had a hit - Middle Eastern Chickpea and Rice Stew.  If anyone is interested in the recipe, let me know. 

I also learned something else this week.  I had one of those pre-recorded messages from our pharmacy, saying that a prescription for me was ready to be picked up.  I had just gotten a three-month supply of my regular prescriptions, so I dismissed the message as a mistake.  The next day I got a message from the pharmacist himself.   When I called back I was told that my Omeprazole (generic for Prilosec) is ready to be picked up.  I said,  "I don't have a prescription for that.  That's an over-the-counter drug."  She said,  "But you can get it for a $5.00 co-pay if you get it as a prescription."  I discovered that my new doctor had called it in!   I have been taking this drug every day for probably the past two years for my acid reflux issues.  The cheapest I've ever found it for is $19.99 for a six-week supply at Walmart.  Other places I've paid up to $28.00 for that many.  And now, just like that, I have a 30-day supply for $5.00!  Isn't that cool?

And here are a few pictures from my day.  Austin is so fascinated by the steam that pours out the top of the dishwasher door when it's at its drying cycle.  Today he was trying to catch it!

Of course, he much prefers to be going about the house unconfined, but there are times when I must put him in the pack and play.  Like when I need to empty the dishwasher without him crawling into it!  So in order to keep him from protesting about being confined, I first of all line up a few of his favorite snacks on the cabinet right next to the pack and play.  

By the time he has finished them, he has forgotten that he doesn't want to be in there, and he entertains himself looking out the sliding glass door (probably remembering the good old days when he could be out on the deck swinging) or playing with some toys.  For a while, anyway!

3 comments:

Justabeachkat said...

Pretty smart of you to line up his snacks!

Hugs!
Kat

Tonja said...

I think you are a pretty, smart Grandmother! Very clever, Jean. Very clever!

Cherdecor said...

What a blessing to have your doctor write you a prescription to get your drug instead of paying all that money at Walmart. God is watching out for you.

You are getting pretty sneaky with those snacks for Austin.