Monday, February 22, 2010

Praying for Lori

This evening my heart is drawn to a very special person in Michigan, whom many of you have prayed for before.  I am asking you to pray for her again.  She is my precious niece Lori, daughter of my late sister Janet.  Lori will begin chemo treatments tomorrow morning in her third battle against colon cancer.  Here is a picture of Lori and her family, taken this past summer when they came to PA to visit her dad and also to see my dad one last time.  

Lori is a truly beautiful person inside and out.  In addition to the ravages of colon cancer, she also experienced a heart-breaking divorce as well as the sudden death of her mother.  I will never forget seeing her at my sister's casket, declaring over and over through her tears,  "I will NOT give up my faith, I will NOT give up my faith!"  

And she didn't.  She learned and lived forgiveness.  She moved ahead in her walk with the Lord and her music ministry.  Eventually God brought her a friend and husband, Jim.  There was great rejoicing !  Within the first year of their marriage, the second battle against colon cancer had to be fought.  She fought through incredible odds and was declared cancer-free.  Again, there was great rejoicing. 

And now the third battle needs to be fought.  Here, in her own words today, is how she's fighting it:

I am doing alright.  It was very hard news to get, but God is helping me through.  He is really teaching me to rely on Him and to keep my focus on Him. I'm learning that trust means being confident that He will provide for me and my family emotionally, whatever comes.  I don't need to focus on the future just because I want to be trusting.  He hasn't provided me with what I need today for tomorrow.  So, my job is to enjoy today and be thankful for it.  I know that He can heal me, and I may not need to climb that mountain.   And if I do need to climb that mountain, He will give me what I need.  So worrying about it is not being realistic.  It is instead the exact opposite of what He wants me to do.  Whenever my mind wants to wander I focus on Him instead and quote scriptures and rely on His promises. 

I am in awe of her total trust in the Lord.  I want that kind of trust.   Pray for her as she comes to your mind tomorrow.

Here are a couple of shots from my day.  The giggles just rolled out of Austin's belly today as he spun this toy around.  I was howling laughing right along with him, not because the toy was so funny, but because his laughter was contagious!

Austin loves to open the pull-out pantry shelves.  Here Anthony was playing peek-a-boo with him.

Here Lori was acting like she was going to "get" Austin, and he would cling to Anthony for all he was worth.  Anthony didn't mind his tight bear hugs one little bit!

He's such a cuddle bunny.  I think I probably kiss him at least a hundred times a day!

2 comments:

Mari said...

Lori's words are such a testimony. I'll be praying for her.
A baby's laugh is so contagious!

Cherdecor said...

I remember the day you told me about Lori's husband leaving her when she was battling her first time with cancer. I could not finish my lunch because at that time, I too, was battling cancer and I couldn't imagine having to deal with unfaithfulness at the same time. I remember praying for that dear girl through the night when I would awaken and during the day. Even though I had never met Lori, and had never met her mother, her mother called me and wrote to me during my battle with cancer so she was very special to me. She ministered to me in a very wonderful way and I shall never forget it.

Even though we go through these trials in life, the Lord is soooooo with us. These trials are not random. They are meant to help us become more like Christ. We can always see Christ shining through Lori each time she suffers.
What a dear, dear girl!

I will be praying for her again.