Monday, November 23, 2009

Pictures from the "Zimwit" gathering.


As I was writing my previous post on Friday afternoon, I had no idea that thousands of Penn State students were getting ready to hit the road for home for Thanksgiving break.  Just a few miles from home I found out!!  It took an hour and twenty minutes to go the first fifteen miles! I didn't even have have a book-on-CD rented for myself, because I didn't expect to have to travel alone.  As usual, I went to Reading first and picked up a very excited Destiny, then headed to our Lititz house.  It was 10:30 PM when we finally got there ( I had left State College at 5!)  

Look at the cheerful sight that greeted me - the flowers that Sam and Jenn had given me for my birthday two weeks ago, looking as fresh as new.  Apparently cut flowers thrive in a cold environment!

Destiny wasn't feeling very well (slight fever, a cold, a bit of stomach virus), so we just hung out at the house most of the day Saturday.  Later in the afternoon we went to my favorite country store, then I took her to spend the evening with Frank and her younger brother J'von.  I am so disappointed I didn't take a picture of the three of them together. 

After I dropped her off I went to the community hall at Gretna Springs for the first "Zimwit" get together since my dad's death.  There was way too much good food and even more fun.  
 
 

Step brother Carl directed some fun games, all of which had an element of surprise.
 

Step brother Roy proved that it's possible to sit on a folding chair, get up and go around it, and sit down on it again, all without ever letting your feet touch the floor!

 

Step brother Lester had everyone yelling and laughing as he showed cards from the Mad Gab game.  

 

It was a great evening together, and we already have our next get together planned.  It's just too bad that it took Dad's illness to draw the two sides of this family together.  Dad would have so enjoyed being part of an evening of fun like we had. 

On Sunday morning I led worship at church, then Destiny and I went to Subway for lunch.  I saw several of my former students there, which was really special. 

I took a nap in the afternoon while Destiny watched a movie.  Then it was time to head back to Reading.  Before I took her to her mom's house, we went to a different part of the city to visit some of Destiny's relatives that she doesn't know very well - Frank's biological mother and sister and some cousins.  Again, I did not take any pictures, and I am so disappointed!  They exclaimed over and over how much Destiny looks like Frank.

This morning I had an easy drive back to State College, but my night was short, so I'm fading fast this evening.  I must get plenty of rest to keep up with a certain little man who is becoming more energetic and curious and daring every single day!! 

3 comments:

Mari said...

You all look like a bunch of zimwits! Seriously - you know how to have fun and I love hearing about it.

Mary Ellen said...

Good post Jeanie. It sure was a good evening. Glad you got home safely to State College.

Cherdecor said...

Hey, your haircut looks great! Glad you had a wonderful time with the zimwits!