Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The new and the very old

I slept seven hours last night! I know that's not news for most people, but I'm one of those people they're talking about in the news these days - I think I have that gene that causes one to need only six hours of sleep, always have been. However, this summer I was lucky if I could sleep more than four or five hours per night.

This morning I found my way to the post office and a grocery store. Tomorrow I hope to find Fulton Bank, CVS, and the library. This afternoon I stayed here with Austin while Lori worked at her office on campus. He's incredibly easy to take care of, and he LOVES my piano. Unfortunately, I didn't think of snapping any pictures today.

There was a really bad storm while I was watching him this afternoon. The electricity blinked many times and it was terribly windy. After supper this evening I went for a walk and saw two trees down. The one looked like it had been blown down by the wind. The other appeared to have been struck by lightning, split right down the middle. Thankfully, neither one hit the homes they were in front of.

This evening I'm finally having time to do something I have been meaning to do for 7 months!! For my last birthday gift my sister Mary Ellen decided to arrange a tour of our first childhood home. Because my Christmas season, and the weeks leading up to it, have always been so hectic due to my big Christmas program at school, she decided we would wait to do the tour until after Christmas. On the first scheduled Saturday there was snow, so we cancelled. On the second scheduled date, January 17, I had been up till very, very late the night before keeping up to the minute with the news of Austin's birth! That Saturday morning I was chomping at the bit to get on the road to State College to see that new grandson, but we kept our "tour" appointment first. Somehow, in the excitement over his birth, I never did the post about the tour.

This was my first home - we moved away from it when I was 5, but I have vivid, very detailed memories of every room of the house. It was SO MUCH FUN to go through the house, even though much has changed. My dad, brother Dick, and sister Doris also went along that day. Oh, how the stories flowed!!

On this picture, with a view of the front of the house, are Janet (holding her doll, Mary Ellen, me (in the cap), and brother Dick with the dog.

And this is the house as it looked on January 17th. A beautiful farmhouse indeed.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Mari said...

What fun to go through the house again and relive some of those memories. It's a beautiful place.
Glad you slept well and are getting to know your new hometown.

elaine said...

IN the first to photos, I was wondering where that house might have been. then when I saw this picture I recognized it! I didn't know you lived there! Did you move from here to the farm on Rife Run?

Tonja said...

Oh, how much fun! And, I loved the picture of you and your siblings!

What a welcome to your new home....a thunder storm! Not fun!
Now be careful with that baby...you mustn't get ALL his sugar the first week!!!! Enjoy!

Mary Ellen said...

At last a post about our tour of our house on Earhart Road!!! I'm very amazed you could collect your thoughts and write a post on the day after your move to State College. Yes, Elaine, we moved from this house to the farm on Rife Run Road. After living out of the area for 35 years, I get nostalgic when I drive past these two farms.

Justabeachkat said...

Cute photo of the four of you in the wagon. I bet it was an amazing feeling to go back to the house again.

Hugs!
Kat

Cherdecor said...

I love the photo of you in the bonnet! Was this picture taken on a Sunday OR, did you wear a bonnet all the time? I love the little shoes your sisters are wearing. You and your siblings look so cute!