Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A quiet, but powerful song

One of the songs I recently taught each grade is Paul Baloche's You Gave Your Life Away. It will be one of our mass chorus songs in the Spring Program. Most of the songs I use are more upbeat, complete with choreography, clapping, jumping, or whatever. And, of course, the wild and crazy behavior that goes with it! But I usually like to use one contrast song, and this one is it. So far I have always had the kids sit down on the risers to sing this one, asking them to try to forget about each other (a HUGE request for any age) and just focus on the One we're singing to. I'm telling you, I have never seen any song have the effect that this one does. No matter how many kids, or which grade, or what normal behavior issues there are, they COMPLETELY calm down as they sing this song, and they really do seem to become oblivious to each other.

Today I had my regular Tuesday half of the Primary Chorus, normally my most challenging period of the week. Today was no exception until we sang this song. The Pre-K teacher was waiting outside the door in tears, so moved as she heard those little voices singing so beautifully in pure worship.

I hope you have time to listen to the song.


4 comments:

Mari said...

I never heard that song before. It's beautiful!

Cherdecor said...

I will listen to this later today when I can turn up the volume. Have a blessed day.
Cheryl

Tonja said...

Jean, what a beautiful song! I had not heard it before.

It reminds me of what I was talking about in my last post. This is the kind of song that will stick with. The words are easy to understand and the tune is easy to sing,too.

Great choice!

Tonja said...

Jean, what a beautiful song! I had not heard it before.

It reminds me of what I was talking about in my last post. This is the kind of song that will stick with. The words are easy to understand and the tune is easy to sing,too.

Great choice!