Friday, April 18, 2008

Not a regular day!

This was not a regular day. Sometime around 11 AM the electricity went off at school. With it went our entire phone system and water, including the ability to flush toilets. We were told by the electric company that it may be 2:30 till we get electric service returned. Thus started the process of using all the available cell phones to call the parents, informing them that we would dismiss right after lunch. Of course, before lunch was finished the electricity came back on. However, there was no turning back at that point. So I ended up having a much more relaxing Friday afternoon than normal.

There was an additional blessing in the early dismissal for me. My classroom window air conditioner has not been lifted to its perch yet. This was by far the warmest day we've had so far this spring - probably in the 80's. I dreaded what my room would feel like this afternoon during Intermediate Chorus (grades 3, 4, and 5.) There is black pavement right outside my windows and it becomes like a furnace on hot days. So thankfully we did not have to endure that today.

Later this afternoon I went to Reading for Destiny. As it turned out I wouldn't have had to - Enid had brought her to Lancaster, but hadn't called me. With the crazy gas prices I could be quite irritated, but I'm not. I needed that time in the car with the Lord and my music. Good, anointed worship music just washes over me like rain, and the tears I shed bring release.

I will end this post with a really cute story. Last spring Intermediate Chorus did a musical about the story of Joseph. One of the songs after the scene with Potiphar's wife was a reggae-sounding one called Flee Temptation. We used home-made shakers (water bottles partly filled with colorful chocolate-coated sunflower seeds.) The chorus of the song says, "You've got to flee temptation, you've got to flee temptation, You've got to flee temptation, don't stay, just run away!" This spring I am using that song with Primary Chorus. This morning when first grade was in my classroom and we were planning to do that song next, I started passing out the shakers. Of course, busy little people can't wait to get their hands on those things, so like I always do, I instructed them to let the shakers sit in front of them until the intro music started. The kids were sitting on the risers and I was placing two shakers in front of each child. When I got to little Josiah, who is THE most comical kid I've ever met, he looked at his two shakers sitting in front of him and said, "I'm tempted to touch them. I have to run away." And he went running off the risers and around the room. Oh my word! I just laughed and laughed and laughed. I think he understands the message of that song!

2 comments:

Cherdecor said...

WHAT A CUTE STORY!

Tracey said...

That is such a cute story! And I LOVE that name...Josiah.

So glad you had an afternoon "off" and a little praise & worship time in your car---even if it was out of the way...and I agree about these extreme gas prices. It's ridiculous!

Enjoy the weekend!