Saturday, April 26, 2008

Dick and Destiny left for home before I did. When I was ready to leave, I discovered that my keys were not in my purse. I had to call home and ask Dick, who was already taking a nap, to come and bring me the extra set of keys. I felt so bad for him. This evening I found out that a set of keys were turned in and I was able to go to school and get them, thank goodness!

While I waited for Dick to arrive I took a walk in the nearby cemetery to look for my mother's gravestone. I discovered that it is very convenient when the person's last name is on the back of the gravestone, so it's easier to find no matter which direction you're walking. Sure enough, Mother's does have Witmer engraved on the back, as you can see on the second picture. I hope it will be a long, long time before a date needs to be engraved under my dad's name.

As I was walking I also found the gravestone for my childhood friend, Eunice Metzler. We went to Sunday School and to school together. We sang together, "double dated", as we called it when two couples went out together. She was exceptionally gifted in many, many ways. When she was nineteen she needed a second heart surgery. Having survived her first heart surgery in high school, we were not as concerned about the second one. What a horrible, horrible shock when I heard my mother take a phone call, receiving the news that Eunice had died shortly after surgery. Looking back, I realize that that truly was the first traumatic experience of my life.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Justabeachkat said...

That's so sad about your childhood friend. I never heard of putting the name on the front and back of the headstone. It's a great idea though.

Hugs!
Kat

Lynn said...

We STILL call it double dating. :o)

Thank you for sharing this tribute to your mother and your childhood friend. Looks like the benefit sale was a success. Are the milkshakes close to as good as the ones at the farm show? Yum!!!

Tonja said...

I love to walk with my mom through the cemetary at her old home church where my grandparents are buried. She knows something about nearly everyone there, and so many were family. There is a tiny little grave with a lamb on top that was where her cousin was buried. That, I think, is the first time I realized that children died, too. We still go and do that when we happen to be in NC at the same time. It is a peaceful sort of time though and not morbid or sad...just a remembering of people and times gone by.

Glad the auction went well...and that you found your keys!

Have a great week ahead!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing about your friend and Mother and all your memories. I hope my parents won"t need one very soon either but I know anything can happen at any moment. On question does our uncle Bob have an headstone yet. I know for a while these wasn"t one there but they were working on getting one. Hope he has one now.

Jean said...

I don't know, Joanne. I didn't walk down that far yesterday. Maybe some day after school I'll walk out there and check it out.

Anonymous said...

Joanne, there is not a head stone at Uncle Bob's grave site yet, at least it wasn't a few weeks ago when I was there. Mary Ellen