This evening I'm sitting in the office at Dick's auto mechanic shop while he works on our cars. (There is a policy that no one may work here alone in the evenings, because at some point a person got hurt while here alone. So I'm here to call 911 if anything happens, I guess.) At least I'm allowed to use his computer, and I also have my briefcase along which contains a LOT of work I need to do.
Last evening my sister Mary Ellen and I went to a viewing again. Carol Hottenstein, a classmate of Mary Ellen's in elementary and high school, died in her sleep Friday morning, just like my sister Janet did. (Carol's sister Elaine was one of my best friends for many years - we were bridesmaids in each other's weddings.) Carol was a VERY active business woman, wife, mother of four young adults, and grandmother of 12. Her death creates a huge vacuum, just as Janet's did.
I know the Bible says that the sting of death is gone for the Christian, but as human beings there is still tremendous grief at such a sudden, untimely loss. We want to scream, "WHY??? Why NOW???" I don't know Carol's children, but I'm sure they feel like they still needed their mom. Those grandchildren still needed their grandma. I'm sure Carol and her husband had many more plans of the things they would do together in their senior years. Her sister Elaine has been hit HARD by this. They have been dealing with difficult issues regarding their elderly mother. Also, Elaine's husband has a degenerative muscular disease, needing to be on oxygen most of the time. She has always been such a strong woman. Nothing has ever been too difficult for her to accomplish. But what she said last night keeps coming back to me. "Maybe I'm a hard nut to crack. If this is what it took for God to get me to a place where I really, really need Him, it worked. I feel completely dependent on Him." That just makes me cry. I know that's where we all need to be, but the process is so very, very hard.
Please pray for my dear friend Elaine. And for her sister Carol's family, of course.
7 comments:
I am sorry to hear about the death of your friend's sister. Death is a very hard thing, but I am sure that the Lord will give her the grace she needs to carry on without her sister.
I'm so sorry - I'll pray for her.
I think I may know who carol is but it would have been a long time ago that I knew her. Did she go to congregational Bible church many years ago? And they used to Have a Produce stand some where. Yes It is hard to deal with death. God will be with them I know
Jean
I just stopped and prayed for this family.
Hugs sweet friend!
Kat
I just took time to read your last few posts, and as always, I enjoyed catching up on your life.
What a moving and thought provoking post. Asking and addressing those hard questions that we all have and struggle with.
"Maybe I'm a hard nut to crack. If this is what it took for God to get me to a place where I really, really need Him, it worked. I feel completely dependent on Him."
This really says it all. We've ALL had those type issues in our lives.
I read once, (and I wish I knew which author said it so I could give credit) "The Lord gave me a fix to fix me, and if it doesn't fix me he'll give me another fix to fix me and so on until we get fixed!!!!" I know at one point in my life I had to stop and say "Lord what are you trying to teach me." What he is always trying to teach us is to rely on Him and quit trying to be God!!! We ALL struggle with that.
Father God I pray for this dear woman and her family. I pray that your peace which does pass understand hold and sustain them as they walk through this very difficult time. In Jesus precious, precious name I pray. Amen.
Susan
Susan
So sorry, but God will get your attention, if He needs to. But, what lessons to be learned!
Post a Comment