It's hard for me to put into words the thoughts that have been circling around in my brain this week. I feel like I am observing us Christians from the outside, and what I see is so dreadfully unsettling. I open my Christian magazine and see yet another high profile couple getting a divorce. Another worship leader is stepping down due to moral failure. I watch the news and read my newspaper and learn that another well known leader is stepping aside due to financial discrepancies. I hope I am not putting myself on a perch and looking down at those who have failed. I too have failed many, many times. I despise the pointed finger, the worry about our own "whiteness", as Oswald Chambers puts it, and I don't want to be guilty of that. But I have boys who need to see examples of authentic Christianity. And my heart just grieves at the lack thereof.
Where is the relationship with Christ that influences our lifestyles and our relationships with each other and with the needy and with our enemies? Is Christianity just another big business where the top dogs compete for the numbers and the money and the power while the little dogs exist without any noticeable Christian influence in their lives?
A verse was rattling around in my head as I pondered these thoughts this evening. I looked it up and found it in Micah 6:8. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. I used to aspire to be a great writer, speaker, singer, etc., but not anymore. I would far rather live a Micah 6:8 life that my children and grandchildren could see as real and sincere. At the same time I long to see more of the power of God at work in my life, but I want it to be real. I'm tired of hyped up power that turns out to be the manipulation of man.
Christians, let's purpose to bless our descendants with a faith that is REAL!
9 comments:
Amen Jean! Amen.
Hugs!
Kat
I never heard you express your desire for your Christianity in that way, but I absolutly agree! It is difficult, but oh, so worth it , to strive towards excel´lence in our Christianity- not status, possition, or a name for ourselves. Only by recognising our true status as a servant will we be able to inhearit the true calling of a follower of the Lord.- A big Amen from me too!
Hear! Hear! Sister! How truly you speak.The true spirit you possess really shows through what you write. But, I already knew it was special!
That verse in Micah is emphasized frequently at Eastern Mennonite University, and I especially remember a most challenging message by Calvin Shenk when addressing graduates one year. I have listened to that message several times. When I was in Harrisonburg last weekend, Lois Wenger bought at the MCC Relief Sale a beautiful painting with that verse on it. MEW
This is just a funny side note. I ask myself every time Mary Ellen comments, "Why does she sign off mewowing like a cat?" I finally got it. Those are her initials, I bet. Hahahahahaha!
Any way, you are so right! Love your post!
I am still laughing and cannot control myself. I am rolling on the floor. Leave it to me to get giggly at the wrong time! I don't mean to take away from the seriousness of your post because I soooooo agree with it.
I think I would add one more thing. The confession of our moment by moment sin. I really work at this because I sin ALL THE TIME. This has made a tremendous change in the relationships I have. Confession is how I do humble. Forgiveness is another part of it because if I still hold grudges, then I am not humble. Well, I didn't mean for this to get so long, but I agree with you whole heartedly.
Oh, Cheryl, that is SO funny!! Our family has gotten so used to Mary Ellen signing her name like that, that I'm sure it never occured to her or us that other people wouldn't realize it's her initials!!
I think you did good on this post. I have read some of your comments to others and see that you have a very sweet heart. Thanks for sharing with us.
This is a wonderful post...I also wonder what's going on in the world at times...the 'salt and light' thing has been on my mind a lot lately, and surely this post goes along with that too!
Jean, after coming over to "meet" you this morning I scanned down your page and found this.
AMEN AMEN - you have put into words here what I feel so many of us feel. It breaks my heart that THE CHURCH has so many tares among the wheat. We can only imagine what it does to the Father's heart.
I am bookmarking you. I'll be back! Glad to have met you.
Susan
Post a Comment